Legally can you cycle on the A77?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
<pedant> Unlike in Englandshire there is no national speed limit on Scottish motorways. The speed limit is specified in the statutory instrument which defines the road as a special road. </Pedant>

That may be so, but, unless otherwise signed at regular intervals, the speed limit on Scottish motorways is still 70mph - though it does seem to be a slower 70 than is apparently observed further south (IME).

Brandane

Legendary Member
though it does seem to be a slower 70 than is apparently observed further south (IME).
And cars are still allowed in the left hand lanes up here (although that disease is spreading from the south).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 5432500, member: 9609"]more boat traffic on the 75 - no way would I be on that road on a push bike

View: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10215880220576967&id=1189545616[/QUOTE]

Holy shoot!

I can't fathom what goes on in the mind of a driver like that one on the wrong side of the solid white line. I'm also baffled by the insistence of the driver in the filming lorry to get within a few feet of the lorry ahead when there's a likelihood of a head on crash occurring imminently. There's a few crazy drivers in that footage.

spen666

Legendary Member

I ask this as TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

A motorway has a specific definition in law. There are Motorways that do not have a 70MPH limit and there are plenty of roads with a 70MPH limit that is not a motorway

Clearly Tom Tom do not understand the law or the question or both or perhaps its some other answer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I can't fathom what goes on in the mind of a driver like that one on the wrong side of the solid white line. I'm also baffled by the insistence of the driver in the filming lorry to get within a few feet of the lorry ahead when there's a likelihood of a head on crash occurring imminently. There's a few crazy drivers in that footage.
Possibly a left hand drive artic who doesn't think he's on the wrong side of the road?
[QUOTE 5432532, member: 9609"]cause he's thinking of passing too - they will be on the CB to there mates up ahead making sure there is nothing coming. And all that will be way above limiter speed let alone the 40mph speed limit[/QUOTE]
Speed limit is now 50mph on single carriageway

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 26715

Apparently it is for big lorries in England & Wales?
That should have read

"Speed limit is now 50mph on single carriageway"

Original post edited, it changed either earlier this year or last.

vickster

Legendary Member
That should have read

"Speed limit is now 50mph on single carriageway"

Original post edited, it changed either earlier this year or last.
April 2015 according to the first link so not that recent

And my ...is... perfectly accurate way to describe the current situation ;)

If it was a motorway it would (probably) be the M77. Anyone can cycle an A road unless there are specific signs prohibiting it. Don't go by Tom Tom or the likes when your gumption suggests otherwise.

Some A roads are labeled A1(M) to denote a motorway section of an A road, motorway rules apply

Has the national speed limit changed from 60 to 70 ?

60mph (for cars) unless on dual carriageway, which is any number of lanes provided divided by anything from a kerb to a wall or inbetween

Possibly a left hand drive artic who doesn't think he's on the wrong side of the road?

for lorries?

Not seen anything for a general change?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Even then I'd not see that as an excuse, prohibition of crossing solid white lines in the middle of the carriageway is standard throughout Europe.

The road in question is the A75 in Scotland so the 40mph limit applies. (There is one exception: the Perth - Inverness stretch of the A9.)

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5432708, member: 9609"]but they could once pull the fuse and disable the limiter, 70 / 80 mph empty[/QUOTE]
Slightly OTT but we drove from LA to Vegas at a steady 90mph & was amazed how slowly we were catching the HGV out there, they were all above 80mph

pawl

Legendary Member
The A77 in Scotland runs from south of Fenwick to Portpatrick, it is Dual Carriageway in places then goes to two way traffic.
The road has access to farms and does have slow moving tractors on it, however my question is can a non motorised bike (Cycle/Push Bike) be riden on this whole stretch of road that is signed A77?

I ask this as TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

So I ask everyone out there, in terms of law are you allowed to cycle along the A77? (whether there is a path or not)

Are not duel carriage ways 70 M P H max speed limit.

Top Bottom