Legally can you cycle on the A77?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
@classic33 No - the highest speed limit I can think of on the A58 is 60mph and the A58(M) only has a 40mph limit - and despite being motorway I've seen all sorts on there that shouldn't be using it, from learner drivers (before the rules changed) to a very brave chap on an MTB who cycled the full length of it westbound.

The road I'm on about is the A6120 between the Windmill Roundabout (A64) and Barwick Road. I've no idea how it's kept the 70mph limit, but it has.

OP
OP
A

a01020304

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A77

Although why anyone would want to ride on a freight-laden dual carriageway when a cursory glance at a map shows better alternatives beats me, and why a cyclist should care what TomTom thinks is utterly mystifying.

only reason i am quoting tomtom is that my work insist i use that in the vehicle i use, so tested it with cycle and noticed the fault. i usually use HERe maps as reliable

I dont think ive ever been on a duel carriageway thats had a national speed limit sign . Could be wrong but ....
I remember sitting on this one (A2) and thinking it was ironic :laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The A77 in Scotland runs from south of Fenwick to Portpatrick, it is Dual Carriageway in places then goes to two way traffic.
The road has access to farms and does have slow moving tractors on it, however my question is can a non motorised bike (Cycle/Push Bike) be riden on this whole stretch of road that is signed A77?

I ask this as TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

So I ask everyone out there, in terms of law are you allowed to cycle along the A77? (whether there is a path or not)

The short answer to your question is: yes.

There is no part of it where cycling is prohibited and it is definitely not a motorway (I use part of it every day on my bike). As TMN says, one look at the big green route information signs tells you that. There is only one A-road in this area that I am aware of that prohibits cycles (along with mopeds, tractors and horses) and that's the A726 GSO, which runs from East Kilbride up to Newton Mearns, where it meets the M77.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Has the national speed limit changed from 60 to 70 ?

Its never changed its always been 60mph on a single carriageway and 70mph on a dual carriageway.

Prior to 1988 (IIRC) the NSL on dual carriageways was 60 mph but was increased to 70 mph in that year, bringing the limit into line with motorways.
To answer the OP as I have local knowledge of the A77 -yes it is legal to cycle on it (note - A77; but not on the M77 which starts about Fenwick). Why anyone would want to risk life and limb by putting themselves at the mercy of all that traffic when there are much better alternatives is a different question. It's a horrible road.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I dont think ive ever been on a duel carriageway thats had a national speed limit sign . Could be wrong but ....
You're in London. Go outside the M25 and you'll see lots of them. In fact, in this area there are very few DC's which aren't NSL.. The exceptions tend to be in built up areas, like the 30mph DC on the A8 main road through Greenock.

OP
OP
A

a01020304

Prior to 1988 (IIRC) the NSL on dual carriageways was 60 mph but was increased to 70 mph in that year, bringing the limit into line with motorways.
To answer the OP as I have local knowledge of the A77 -yes it is legal to cycle on it (note - A77; but not on the M77 which starts about Fenwick). Why anyone would want to risk life and limb by putting themselves at the mercy of all that traffic when there are much better alternatives is a different question. It's a horrible road.

i agree its not best to ride on however maps should be accurate and not have restrictions that do not exist

Top Bottom