Leicester, Manchester, Glasgow Freewheel events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At Last the news has been released:biggrin:

Here's details of the Leicester event

Cyclists are to take over when the city centre is turned into a car-free zone for one day this summer.

Leicester is one of four cities chosen to host a Skyride event, when cyclists of all ages and abilities will tour landmarks.

It will be free to take part in the event, on Sunday, August 30.

The route, yet to be finalised, is likely to involve the Clock Tower and one of the parks. It will be lined with displays and entertainment.

Jamie Staff – a member of the world record-breaking British sprint trio at the 2008 Beijing Olympics – is Leicester's ambassador for the event.

He said: "This is a fantastic event to be involved in. People, families, whoever can turn up on the day and ride.

"The aim is to encourage cyclists of all ages and abilities to dust down their bikes and enjoy their city as they have never seen it before.

"Parents with children can be worried about letting them out to cycle, but roads will be free of traffic, allowing them to be on bikes and take in some of Leicester's sights.

"Even if people are not cyclists, there will also be all sorts of things going on at the same time."

Glasgow, Manchester and London will also be holding events.

Skyride, which is sponsored by Sky Sports, was launched in September as London Freewheel. Some of the busiest roads in the capital were shut.

Leicester City Council will be finalising the route and making orders for road closures.

Council leader Ross Willmott said: "Planning for people, not cars, is one of the main priorities in our 25-year vision for Leicester. We already have about 10,000 daily cyclists in the city, but we want to increase this number significantly.

"Leicester Skyride will be a fantastic opportunity for people of all ages to discover what a great city this is for cyclists."

Councillor Sarah Russell, lead for environment, said: "As a daily cyclist with young children, I think this is a wonderful opportunity to experience some of Leicester's best parks and tourist attractions." Children from Abbey Primary School are backing the event.

Miron Maisuria, aged 10, said: "I've got a bike but I don't cycle to school because there are too many cars.

"If there was a day when there were no cars on the road, that would be much better."

Excellent news. I had heard rumblings. Any details of what is happening in Glasgow?

smooth

hubs in kelvingrove and queens park. 7k circular route taking in glasgow green/riverside/bells/squinty

led rides from Kelvingrove through city centre/ george sq

mechanics/bike stalls/ come and try etc at the green

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I hope they get there act together next year , last year they had a great route and plenty of entertainment for the kids , this year was all back streets and nothing except fast food vans.
Come on Sky , up your game for next year

robotron

Sky Ride Manchester 2013 was very disappointing. I understand the idea to set off from the Velodrome but the route went through some very nondescript areas and back. There was virtually no city centre riding and non of the actual sights of Manchester to see.

The year before at least had a big ride down Deansgate which is great with no traffic.

Fingers crossed for 2014. Manchester is great city with lots of historic sights and buildings, seems a shame to hide them from the tourists that this event brings in.

robotron

Forgot to add, best part of the day was a trip round the Clayton Vale MTB park.

Hats off to whoever designed those few miles of mountain biking oasis in an urban desert. Was very enjoyable.

Top Bottom