Lejog advise for a colleague

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham 26

Hi,
After talking to a colleague about my LEJOG bike ride that I'm doing in September, he has decided he will also be taking on the challenge.
He is a little overweight, not fit and has signed up to do the ride in around two months time over ten days. He has ordered a bike but at present he still hasn't got it and has not put in any training rides to date (he currently doesn't have a bike and to my knowledge hasn't ridden any distances previously)
I have pointed out my concerns, but I would appreciate it if anyone could pass on their opinion and knowledge of the ride in order to help him or talk him out of it.
Thanks

Brains

Legendary Member
It will be tough, but he might be able to do it, if he seriously starts training now.
10 days is 100 miles a day.
If he can do 2 x 100 miles days in the weekend a week or two before the off, he stands a chance, if he can't he will know it himself, he will be the one to decide wether he can do it or not

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It all depends on how he is going to do the ride. If he's got support and is prepared to pedal long days then he's in with a shout. It will be made easier for him if he's with other riders you can get a performance hike just from having company.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've seen people go from zero in February to LEJoG in five days in June. The key is application and the support of people who know a bit about bikes. He's going to have to go at it like a good 'un and pray his knees and sit-upon don't crack up before he gets to the start line.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if he gets to the start line then does the first day - he will know - the first day ( for me anyway ) was without shadow of doubt was the hardest solely for the hills though the weather didnt help - then expect it everyday and it gets easier

OP
OP
Graham 26

Graham 26

I appreciate it's a tough shout. He's only got just over 6 weeks and still hasn't actually got the bike yet! I've told him I'm concerned but it is up to him. My personal feeling is that it's going to be too much, but having not done it myself and still having six months til my ride, I don't really know.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
If he is not going to screw it up for riding companions it does not matter really does it? He'll waste his time and money but he's not putting himself in danger.

For what its worth I did mine in 9 days last Autumn (105 miles/day average). I am an experienced and fit cyclist but not so young (59), though I had had very little time on the bike the preceding month. The first full day was nearly 4000m climbing via loads of hills in Cornwall and over Dartmoor against a stonking headwind (which is uncommon), so the day I knew would be the hardest became really tough. I felt the after-effects of that day for the next four day's riding until I had just a half-day ride in Scotland. The point of my anecdote being that events (weather wrong, breakdown) could well throw out a plan and make something that's quite hard (LeJog in 10 days) even harder.

If your mate is planning to do it in 10 days with no fitness, no bike yet and no saddle time to harden up his contact points, learn how to feed and hydrate right, then he is almost sure to fail. If he slowed down to a 50-70 mile day, he'd be in with a shout - if he's signed up with an organised tour that is presumably not an option, so can he shift his booking to later in the year when he's had a chance to increase his fitness?

OP
OP
Graham 26

Graham 26

If he is not going to screw it up for riding companions it does not matter really does it? He'll waste his time and money but he's not putting himself in danger.

For what its worth I did mine in 9 days last Autumn (105 miles/day average). I am an experienced and fit cyclist but not so young (59), though I had had very little time on the bike the preceding month. The first full day was nearly 4000m climbing via loads of hills in Cornwall and over Dartmoor against a stonking headwind (which is uncommon), so the day I knew would be the hardest became really tough. I felt the after-effects of that day for the next four day's riding until I had just a half-day ride in Scotland. The point of my anecdote being that events (weather wrong, breakdown) could well throw out a plan and make something that's quite hard (LeJog in 10 days) even harder.

If your mate is planning to do it in 10 days with no fitness, no bike yet and no saddle time to harden up his contact points, learn how to feed and hydrate right, then he is almost sure to fail. If he slowed down to a 50-70 mile day, he'd be in with a shout - if he's signed up with an organised tour that is presumably not an option, so can he shift his booking to later in the year when he's had a chance to increase his fitness?
Thanks for your post, as I say, I haven't done it yet and so can't really advise. I have run marathons and for me the approach should be the same with any challenge like this and that is to respect the challenge.
I do have my opinion but it is up to him, all I can do is point out my concerns and encourage where I can.
Five weeks and still no bike, I just hope he can train enough not to spoil it for the others on the ride.

Andy2484

Tough call. As others have said, it is possible but will require lots of training. The lack of fitness is going to be a problem and the weight he is carrying. He is really going to feel it on the hills and that I suspect will be the breaking point. I am a physio and would have serious reservations if he was going to join my group. Good chance that he will get injured in the first couple of days and be a liability to the group. I am doing the ride over 7 days in August and a friend of mine with little cycling experience intends to join me. He does however have an excellent base fitness due to being a marathon runner and we have enough time to work on conditioning for the next 3 1/2 months. For someone who is unfit, overweight, not a cyclist and does not have a bike, good luck. Hopefully he will have strong mental resolve as he will need it!

bof

Thanks for your post, as I say, I haven't done it yet and so can't really advise. I have run marathons and for me the approach should be the same with any challenge like this and that is to respect the challenge.
I do have my opinion but it is up to him, all I can do is point out my concerns and encourage where I can.
Five weeks and still no bike, I just hope he can train enough not to spoil it for the others on the ride.
Curious to know if your mate went for LeJog in the end.

OP
OP
Graham 26

Graham 26

Well he did come back saying he did it. It was the hardest thing he'd ever done! He said he was taking 12 hours each day. He was pretty quiet about it all and has now left his job. But good luck to him, I wouldn't advise anyone to take it on the way he did.

bof

Well he did come back saying he did it. It was the hardest thing he'd ever done! He said he was taking 12 hours each day. He was pretty quiet about it all and has now left his job. But good luck to him, I wouldn't advise anyone to take it on the way he did.
I hope he ends up seeing it as an achievement not just an exercise in endurance.

Top Bottom