LEJOG During Easter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SeanNW6

Okay, here is the deal my friends........

Only started cycling this last year in July at the ripe age of 40.
I commute each day to work, which is a 12 mile round trip.
At weekends I've been cycling around London and getting some mileage into my legs.

I've really got a passion for cycling which has surprised all my family and friends.

So I've got this idea in my head of doing LEJOG this Easter.
Yes, v ambitious, but am one for these outlandish projects in my life and am not being deterred by people saying such an aim is foolhardy.
My knowledge of maintaing bikes is minimal and have no experience of cycling outside London's streets.
Am a pretty fit person, having run a number of marathons, and I looking after myself (ie sleep well, eat well, exercise regularly).

If I spend the next couple of months preparing for this adventure, does this sound mission impossible, or should I just go for it......??

Thanks

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Wrong side of the bed today Lee?
icon_confused.gif

This is a web forum, not an experts panel and the OP is asking questions that you plus hopefully others will try and give helpful answers too. No-one has commented on anything about whether Sean should do this or not, so who are you ranting at?

Hi Sean,

On the can you do it, I think you would be the only one to know that but, as Lee has already covered quite comprehensively, there are many things that you can look into that will allow you to organise yourself and get to the point where you can decide.

With respect to basic maintenance, Lee's suggestion about getting to a training session is good, but there is also scope for looking at the videos on places like bicycletutor which will allow you to see how to do bits and pieces. Do you know how to fix a puncture? If not then it is good to practise this in an evening at home when it's warm and there is no pressure, so that it is easier when you are outside in the rain sorting one later.

Other than that good luck, and hopefully we'll be reading your ride report in 4 months time :smile:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi Sean,

good advice from Mcshroom (and Lee after his rant :rolleyes: )

You say you are a marathon runner - so you will (hopefully ;) ) know how to listen to your body and act on what it tells you, i.e., how to pace yourself, when to slow down and when to push yourself... with one of the differences being that you've got to carry on the next day etc.

As has been mentioned, a lot depends on how long you give yourself to cover the distance, whether you are planning to travel light or with full camping gear, and what the weather throws at you while you are on the road. A headwind & driving rain can seriously slow you down!

But there is no reason why a fit bloke in his best years shouldn't be able to do this ... depending on how cycle-fit you are when you set off, you may find that some parts of your body get more tired with every day, but you should start feeling better and stronger after a couple of days or three.

You may want to do a couple of mini weekend tours before you set off, with overnight gear. This may help you find any potential problems with your set up, so you can tweak your position on the bike, if necessary, to avoid painful surprises (stiff neck, shoulders, ,sore wrists/palms, "hot spots" under your cleats). This will give you some practice, but most of all, confidence! You could just set out from home and cycle to the coast somewhere, say 100-150k away, and then back a different way the next day ...

I would second the bike maintenance classes, they may come in very handy if something goes wrong while you are miles from the nearest bike shop. A friend and I cycled the Outer Hebrides and then back through Skye, and I noticed my bottom bracket was starting to give ever so slightly after a couple of days. This was getting worse quickly. The nearest bike shop (Portree on Syke) was open, but the only person in the shop was a friend who was looking after the rental business, with the owner away for 3 days. He very helpfully gave me the run of the workshop and all the tools. Having been on a maintenance course, I knew (in theory) how bottom brackets worked and how to take them apart and fix them (those were the days before sealed units). So I set about taking it apart, found a cracked ball, cleaned, re-greased and put it all back together :thumbsup: . Otherwise I would have been stuck there for a while. Oh, and get your bike serviced by someone you trust, shortly before you set off.

Anyway, that's enough rambling ...
I would plan in a spare day or two if you can and keep your plan flexible to account for mechanicals, weather and your body, and take the time to look around you, it's a beautiful country!

T

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Thanks for all your replies.
Great advice and will digest all the info when I have more time later this week.

Am a pretty determined person, and once I set my mind on something, I do whatever it takes to complete the project.

Will keep you informed of my preparations and thanks again for the informed advice.

Well Sean, you are past the first Obstacle, when you said you are a pretty determined person, that good cos at times you will need that.

If LEJOG is like this past year you will not be alone, As I come back down from Durness this past year it was a endless stream of peeps riding both Northwards and Southwards, Indeed I come across a couple of guys who had minor mechanical problems, I stopped to offer help, and so did others so you will not be alone.

You say you are thinking about going about Easter time, I trust you are thinking about B&B or Youth hostels, as in the far North of England and Scotland can still be quite cold and indeed snowbound in places, like wise you will need to take account of the weather forecast, and take clothes to suitable for the weather conditions that have been predicted.

For example in Late September, one morning North of Alness, for the first few hours I had my baselayer, my jersey, and my cycling fleece and my waterproof on as it was so cold and wet and very windy, so you need to bear that in mind.

Set yourself a do-able daily target, which is within you physical abilities, remembering that each day on the day will make you more cycle fit, though as the days go by you might find you will get weary mentally and well as physically. As you say you are already fairly fit, all you need to do really is get you body and bike to work together as one…

Then Go for it…nothing to lose but lots to gain

TwoTired

You're young; on my last LEJOG the other rider was 71 and we had no difficulty with 70 mpd (full luggage). As long as your training includes back to back rides of your average daily mileage, you should be OK. But your backside rather than your fitness may be the limiting factor!

Having spent late April/early May in the highlands for the last ten years, the weather's unpredicable. Last year snow (for the first time) but one day in May a few years back the highlands was the UK hotspot. So carry warm clothes and hope you dont use them. Although Easter 2011 is very late, it'll be the beginning of the tourist season so I'd book ahead (on a day by day basis).

You'd be very unlucky to have a mechanical problem; wayside repairs only possibly for minor problems so dont worry unduly. Before you go, you could have your bike serviced by an LBS (including new tyres, cables, brake blocks). Carry spare inner tubes, minitool, gaffer tape and zip ties; fix punctures at night.

Godd luck Sean.
I did the end to end six years ago when I was sixtyone. My background till then had been fell walking I took eight months to get ready and did it solo on a Dawes Khar-Kum. Since then I have been back to mainly fell walking but with the odd C2C thrown in. This year I am setting out in May to do a circular from Haltwhistle to LE to Dover and back to Haltwhistle on the same Khar-Kum So once more good luck to you.

hubbike

You'll have no problems. fitness isn't an issue for you. as long as you've got money for bar meals, repairs if needed and the odd b&b you'll be trouble free. good luck!!

hubbike

Oh, and don't overthink/overhype this. Lejog is a short tour. Each year it is done by young and old in their hundreds. Running it would be ambitious. Biking it off-road is ambitious. For a fit marathon runner its a nice holiday.

Barbelier

I did in September at the tender age of 53 and it was a fantastic experience.

- I hadn't cycled for 20 yrs and was (and still am) overweight
- was nowhere near as fit as you
- did it solo and unsupported
- I took 16 days and mainly scenic routes

Provided you plan and prepare properly (but start now!) and have the right bike, you'll have no problem.
Doing it over Easter sounds like you plan to it in a very short period. You might want to take a bit longer and make more of the whole experience - its definately worth it.

I'm not as experienced as many on here, but if it helps you can read about my approach and feedback here if it is of interest:

Gavin's JOGLE

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Thanks again for all your comments.
Will be taking them all onboard with me; planning to embark on my trip on Sunday 17 April.
Now planning on making JOG in 13 days.
Popping into my LBS on Sat to discuss my needs with them for the trip.
Will post my thoughts during the week.

Thanks again.

robbiep

Über Member
Sean

Last April 15th I decided to give LEJOG a bash, set off from LE 1st September and finished in JOG on the 9th, 9 days in all.

The point is that prior to April 15th I hadn't ridden further than say 10 miles, I hadn't been on a bike for 2 years and infact I didn't enjoy cycling whatsoever. I had done 6 marathons and really was into my running, the challenge was really an utterly perverse way of giving myself a real challenge, getting right out of my comfort zone.

From April 15th - Sept 1st I did do 2800 training miles and with hindsight that was maybe a little excessive but the weather was good and the challenge of doing my first 100 miler was the motivation.

If you have the time to train well then go for it, if you have the miles in the legs then you just get stronger and stronger as you progress. I used a Specialized hybrid, straight bars with bar ends which I found great, just had a service before I left.

Like it has been mentioned there were loads of others doing the route (no sure if many will be doing it at the time you propose) so help may well be at hand if you should be VERY unlucky.

Personally it would have pi***d me off to cycle in the rain day after day but everyones different, weather wise Easter is definately a gamble but I guess anytime in the UK is!!

Give it a bash, and the very best of luck to you!

frank9755

Cyclist
Can a fit 40-year old who is passionate about cycling and rides to work every day do LEJoG? It's hard to imagine a better candidate!

I've skimmed this, but not seen how quickly you want to do it (apologies if I missed it). Doing it in three weeks would obviously be a different proposition than 4/5 days, but I am assuming you are aiming for a standard 10-14 day ride. Just seen you are talking about 13 days so ignore that bit!

As others have said, the limiting factor is not likely to be your fitness but the cumulative effect of wear and tear on your body. To combat that you need to have the right equipment and the right position on your bike. To test it you have to put in the miles and put them in on successive days, and see what starts to play up.

When I did a more demanding tour last year I got saddle sores, so I've put a Brooks on my tourer. On my first 200k audax I had foot and back problems, so I changed to different pedals and had a fitting. My first 400k a few months later was then easier as a result.

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Thanks for all the encouragement and the advice.
It's been great reading your posts.
Right, the plan is to depart from LE on Sunday 17 April.
Just starting my research now, regarding the route.
Plan is not too book ahead for accommodation. Am riding on my own, so hopefully getting a room is not going to be too difficult.
Am aware that I'm riding during the lead up to Easter holiday, but I want to maintain a degree of flexibility.

First task to tackle (of many.....), is do I tackle the A30 for my first day.
Live in central London, so am used to cycling in heavy traffic. But am I missing some fantastic scenery in sticking to the A30???

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sean - what do you want from the ride? Is it a finer and deeper appreciation of the people and geography of England and Scotland (a worthy aim) or is it the challenge and (hopefully) the accomplishment (an equally worthy aim)?

If the latter then 13 days is easy-peasy, and the A30 is fine if you fancy it, although you'll have to come to terms with the idea that the most straightforward LEJoG route is not neccessarily the most entertaining. If the former then it's time to start looking at maps and doing a bit of dreaming.

Top Bottom