Lejog help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
Hi all, long time for me posting. But I'm considering taking on lejog in 2020.

Now currently I have a cyclocross bike, merdian 500. I bought it 18mnths ago and done 50miles on it. So I'm thinking would you advise doing lejog o this bike with slick road tyres on or would it be better to get a dedicated road bike for this event?

Hi all, long time for me posting. But I'm considering taking on lejog in 2020.

Now currently I have a cyclocross bike, merdian 500. I bought it 18mnths ago and done 50miles on it. So I'm thinking would you advise doing lejog o this bike with slick road tyres on or would it be better to get a dedicated road bike for this event?

I’ve done 5 or 6 LEJOG / JOGLE rides over the years, and it’s possibly the only multi day endurance ride I’ve done, where I would definitely advise a lightweight road bike over all else. In my experience opinion, the first two or three hundred miles would not be a problem on a chunkier tyred / touring style bike, but the fatigue starts to kick in after that, and the lighter and faster / easier rolling the bike, the more you’ll appreciate it. There are no nailed down routes to do LEJOG / JOGLE, but there are ‘favourites’ and a lot of the favourites do have some terrain to deal with ( Deloitte routes forex). A CX bike wouldn’t be ideal, as gearing and typical frame geo would not be ideal. A ‘gravel road’ type bike would work better, but a roadie would be even more suitable, if it were me.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its about comfort. If you could go out for a few days back to back and feel fine, then its just about pacing/fuelling

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’ve done 50 miles cycling in the last 18 months, you might want to do some training regardless of the bike you choose :smile:

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
If you’ve done 50 miles cycling in the last 18 months, you might want to do some training regardless of the bike you choose :smile:

Fully aware of this and I will be. I done London to Paris a few years ago also so I'm aware what is needed thank you. My post is regarding bike type.

vickster

Legendary Member
That was my point, train on the CX with slicks and see how you find the long rides :okay:

Reactions: C R

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
How much stuff will you be carrying?
Tube, levers and toothbrush, or fully laden?
B&B's or camping?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Would have thought it would come down to how long you will take to do the journey - if you are doing 50 mile a day just plodding along then I would think you would be fine with slicks on . If you are on a tighter schedule then I would think about making it easier for myself

Rocky

Hello decadence
IMO you should be fine on that bike although I’d put some touring tyres on it. With racing slicks you may well end up with a few unscheduled stops to mend flats. I’ve seen all sorts of bikes used for Lejog from Brompton to cheap MTBs and bespoke tourers to expensive carbon frame road bikes.

Do get some mileage in first. Make sure you are capable of 50+ miles a day for at least two weeks on the trot. You’ll enjoy the ride more, the fitter you are.

Have fun.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I personally would of thought that the bike would be fine. Ditch the knobbly tyres and get some decent road tyres on. If you are only riding lightweight that should be fine.

Top Bottom