LeJoG in 9days Route check!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintonbina

Über Member
Hi Guy's,
I'm nearly ready, had my bike serviced yesterday, 2 new gatorskin tyres :thumbsup: all clear given by my physio(after jarring my knee in car accident last Sunday :sad:). All that is left is the route!
Day 1 LE A30 to Okehampton.
Day 2 Oke to Crediton via B3215,A3072,A337, Cred to Bristol via BridgwaterA370,B3133,3130,3124,A369,B4054.
Day 3 Bristol to Ludlow via Aust, A466 thro Hereford.
Day 4 Ludlow to Chorley via A49, Shrewsbury,wigan then B5250.
Day 5 Chorley to Carlisle B5253 then A6 over Shap :whistle:.
Day 6 Carlisle to Edinburgh via Gretna,B7076,Moffat A7012,A72,A701 then B7059 & A702.
Day 7 Edinburgh (after a few beers with the fellow cc'er's!). over the Forth Bridge onto A9 to Newtonmore.
Day 8 Newtonmore to Tain A9 all the way!
Day 9 Tain to JoG via Wick.

Then the easy stroll up the 3 Peaks :blush:

Any improvements or comments would be appreciated, I'm a virgin don't forget :rolleyes:

Thanks, Tony

pkeenan

Über Member
Have you done this yet/are you doing it? How are you finding the route? I was thinking doing something similar...

hubbike

I did a 9 day lejog following a similar route (except I went through nicer parts of scotland!!)

there is a canal path between taunton and bridgewater.
and one between lancaster and carnforth that's nice.

think carlisle to edinburgh might be the toughest but most attractive leg.

best of luck!!

pkeenan

Über Member
Thanks for the heads up! Might be getting back in touch to ask for more details... :smile:

But that's good stuff to know!

What route did you take through Scotland?

Rebel Ian

I did a 9 day lejog following a similar route (except I went through nicer parts of scotland!!)

there is a canal path between taunton and bridgewater.
and one between lancaster and carnforth that's nice.

think carlisle to edinburgh might be the toughest but most attractive leg.

best of luck!!

The canal route through Taunton is right next to a brilliant cycle shop, Six Cycles, who helped us out yesterday when we suffered a mechanical issue. They said they get a lot of End to Enders passing them.

lejogger

Guru
Thanks for the heads up! Might be getting back in touch to ask for more details... :smile:

But that's good stuff to know!

What route did you take through Scotland?

If it's any help, our 9 day camping route was:

1. LE - Okehampton
2. Oke - Bristol
3. Bristol - Broseley
4. Broseley - Wirral (Home)
5. Wirral - Penrith
6. Penrith - Glasgow
7. Glasgow - Fort William
8. Fort William - Dornoch
9. Dornoch - JoG

Loved our Scotland route. The old A road that tracks the M74 is so quiet, then once past Glasgow, the scenery is just immense.

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Initially I thought LE to Oakhampton was one hell of a trek, but google maps tells me it's about 90 miles. Could be some long drags on the A30.
I like the idea of going to Bristol via Bridgewater, sounds like an interesting route.

Good luck with that. I'll be watching with interest. Is this supported or unsupported?

pkeenan

Über Member
Thanks Lejogger - that's helpful.

Biscuit, I'll be doing it unsupported - combining it with a larger tour. (Scottish Borders to SW Wales, then to LE, then to JoG, then home again.) It's really a cycle holiday, going to see friends. But I felt like combining my long over due LEJOG into it ;)

hubbike

my route, which I would recommend highly, except I would rearrange distances to be more even each day. I alternated B&B with wild camps more or less.

Day 0: Penzance, Land's End, Penzance (wild camp in field outside penzance)
Day 1: Penzance, St Erth, Camborne, Redruth, Bodmin, Launceston, Lifton, Lewdown, Bridestowe, Okehampton, Bow, Copplestone, Crediton, Bickleigh (with the nice pub), Tiverton. (B&B)
Day 2: Tiverton, Wellington, Taunton, Bridgewater, Edithmead, Axbridge, Winscombe, Star, Churchill, Bristol, Avon Gorge, Avonmouth, Severn Bridge, Chepstow, St Arvans. (camped in pub beer garden)
Day 3: Wye Valley, Monmouth, Hereford, Leominster, Church Stretton, Shrewsbury, Wem (B&B)
Day 4: Wem, Whitchurch, Warrington, Wigan, Preston, Garstang (nice pub), Lancaster, Canforth (wild camp by side of canal)
Day 5: Canforth, Kendal, Shap, Penrith, Carlisle, Longtown, Gretna, Annan, Dumfries (B&B)
Day 6: Dumfries, Sanquhar, Cumnock, Kilmarnock, Saltcoats, Largs, Gourock (ferry to Dunoon), Dunoon, Sandbank, Loch Eck, Strachur, Clachan, Inveraray, Tullich (very long day!!!) (wild camp)
Day 7: Tullich, Lochawe, Inverawe, Connel, Benderloch, Creagan, Ballachulish, Fort William, Spean Bridge, Loch Lochy, Laggan, Loch Oich, Invergarry, Fort Augustus. (B&B)
Day 8: Fort Augustus, Loch Ness, Drumnadrochit, Beauly, Muir of Ord, Evanton, Alness, Tain, Dornoch Firth, Loch Fleet, Golspie (wild camp)
Day 9: Brora, Helmsdale, Berriedale, Wick, John O'Groats, Wick. (B&B)

really think throwing in the dunoon ferry made for an awesome route. including Arran would be even better!!

lejogger

Guru
Initially I thought LE to Oakhampton was one hell of a trek, but google maps tells me it's about 90 miles. Could be some long drags on the A30.
I like the idea of going to Bristol via Bridgewater, sounds like an interesting route.

Good luck with that. I'll be watching with interest. Is this supported or unsupported?

All day on the A30 was tough going - especially as the temperature was about 27 degrees! There are plenty of long drags, but we consoled ourselves that if they were drags on the A road, they'd have been sharp knee-poppers on the B roads.

Some hairy moments with big wagons flying past, but you do get used to them. Not fun though. Just served the purpose of a quick A-B.

Top Bottom