LEJOG in October- stupid idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heather

Hi

I was planning on doing a solo LEJOG with panniers on 9th October over 11 days.

Everyone has now told me this is a dumb idea as the weather will be awful and I will freeze to death. Any opinions on whether it would be too late in the year- its the only time I can really go........

We (cyclemagic) are leaving on October 2nd.

I did Leicester - York on my Penny in October a few years ago and was in shirt sleeves all the way.

hubbike

i did a 9 day lejog in march 2008. there was a large storm that threw me up to bristol, and then strong headwinds the rest of the way...coldest wild camp -2 on top of the pass between Inveraray and Lochawe. then driving rain on the last few days north of inverness. still good fun!

October can be very nice weather in the UK so just keep your finger's crossed.

Christkd

Not crazy, just be prepared!!

We did Lejog at the start of April this year and the weather was nothing short of amazing!!!!

Good luck with it!

Chris

michael3429

Hi i'm doing JOGLE in October aswel, Really not to worried about it. I am expecting typical british weather. Nippy in the mornings prob see some rain some days if not most but i think just th thought of doing to trip out weighs the worries of weather.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've been in the Borders in October and it can be really sunny and warm.
It can also be lashing it down with the Mother of All Headwinds.
I'd give it a go. What's the worst that can happen?
It's not like you're going to freeze to death just past Thurso.

If you do freeze to death just outside Thurso, I accept no responsibility :biggrin:

Rebel Ian

Well we're doing it in July to ensure good weather...........and I'm looking out the window about to start day 4 and it's pi**ing down!!

The bigger challenge I think will be doing it solo and unsupported rather than the weather. As Billy Connolly said there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong type of clothing.

Mitz

We've chosen September. Over past years the weather in September has been OK, but I'm not banking on it
biggrin.gif

Imagine, on the other side of it, trying to train (as I am now) when it's approaching 30 degrees first thing in the morning where I am.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
We (cyclemagic) are leaving on October 2nd.

I did Leicester - York on my Penny in October a few years ago and was in shirt sleeves all the way.

It's not guaranteed to be nice though.

Yes, it can be shirt sleeve weather and it sometimes has been when I've been at the Scott Trial in late October. More often than not it's been dull and overcast and when it's rained it's been a cold wet and miserable day.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
We've chosen September. Over past years the weather in September has been OK, but I'm not banking on it
biggrin.gif

Imagine, on the other side of it, trying to train (as I am now) when it's approaching 30 degrees first thing in the morning where I am.

You could buy light and train late evening and enjoy the lie in.
thumbsup.png

Not a stupid idea at all.

Autumn can be the best season of the year in Britain and, although you will get a full mix of weather, you'll probably have a lot of sunny and dry days.

If you're self-sufficient, make sure you have a good tent, warm sleeping bag and comfy mattress.

Good luck, it sounds a great adventure.

You will need to take the shorter daylight hours into account when planning distances, also a lot of B&B's stop trading in October.

OP
OP
H

Heather

Thank you for all the posts I had on this- you all encouraged me I would enjoy it and now the whole thing is booked :smile:

11 days of riding starting Sunday 9th October, and I'm really really excited :smile: :smile:

Top Bottom