LEJOG - local/previous knowledge required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I think that could be a glitch with Ride With GPS. On the Comley version of the route the summit is at mile 27 then you have a long and fun descent after which the gradient stays mostly in your favour all the way to Shrewsbury. (All being well the prevailing wind should be helping you along on this stretch too.)

On the Enchmarsh version the summit is 150 feet higher (and consequently a steeper climb) then RWGPS appears to take you along an unmade farm track before you start descending past Lawley. There is a road alternative to the track but that involves a bit more climbing still..... Great views from the top though.;)

Edit to add: RWGPS hasn't altered the route anywhere else when you made the changes? That might account for the claimed extra climbing?

No, it was only that section of the route that I altered. I will take your experience over RWGPS and go the Comley version. That is why u started this thread, as you cannot beat local knowledge and the advice of those who have previously ridden the roads!

Don't be jinxing the wind direction for me! :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would appreciate any local knowledge or any previous knowledge in order to suggest any amendments to my routes
Day 1 defintely needs amending. I just don't know what is the best way to do it! Surely loads of people have done this route from Lands End to Okehampton.
Here's my suggestion for your Day 1.
Stay off A30 dual carriageway after Marazion; full stop. Cycle path from Penzance to Marazion on sea side of railway is not great, and probably worse in August with pedestrian congestion.
Go into and through Hayle. You have 110 miles to do and trying to use the NCN will swiftly get frustrating and slow (this is a more general point).
After Redruth, at Scorrier, cross (over) the A30 directly and go up the old A30, past Smokey Joe's cafe (51.2km on my link) which I recommend.
Stay off A30: go up A3075 (watch serious downhill double bend at Perranzabuloe!). Cut back to A30 and put up with a few km on single carriageway A30 till Mitchell and then there's a good 'parallel' road option all the way to Bodmin, with the added bonus of Goss Moor cycle path - good surface.
I have offered a different route from the end of the Camel Trail across to Hallsworthy.
Finally: a little tweak to get onto the Granite Way across the A386 more easily.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Having read some of these great comments. There should be a dedicated Cyclechat Lejog route.
Won't work. Roadies and bikepackers would squabble forever and tourers would carry on ignoring everyone and doing their own thing :smile:

Or a selection of versions? You could have a fast route, an easy route and a scenic route for example.
It may need a heck of a lot of versions.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would appreciate any local knowledge or any previous knowledge in order to suggest any amendments to my routes.
And here's my suggestion for a Day 2 route, based on yours (the implied philosophy thereof).
The hilly narrow road from N Tawton to Lapford is not fun: I have offered an alternative line.
From Nomansland (W of Tiverton) you're much better off staying on the B3137. Less climb (though it's mostly lovely descents) and you can use all that hard gained potential energy to maximum kinetic effect on the B road, as opposed to wasting it on heat (brakes) on the narrow roads your draft route took.
Out of Tiverton I'd take the Blundells Road to Halberton before cutting onto the canal path. This canal path is good, though care is needed under the frequent bridges (unclip and shout - I suppose a prudent citizen would dismount and walk each one).
From the effective end of the 'Western Union' canal path near Greenham, the NCN3 route is tortuous, slow and difficult to navigate. I have suggested you cut up through Wellington and put up with 3 miles between Wellington and Taunton on the A38 (only local traffic - the M5 takes the 'load').
To avoid riding through the confusing and often busy roads of Bridgwater, you can cross the canal before getting into town, but this does involve lifting the bike up and down a few steps to cross the foot bridge alongside the railway line to cross the canal. I found this not a problem with a lightly (6kg) loaded bike (but would be challenging with panniers).
The road due N from Woolavington to Bason Bridge and bearing round right to Mark is lovely and easy to navigate. You can then go through Wedmore but on @Ian H 's 'Old Roads 300' audax a fortnight ago I chose to 'cut the corner' to the Cheddar road, and those roads were fine - exactly the route you had selected.
An easier route from Okehampton to Tiverton, as @Ian H has said (a legend of unparalleled road knowledge btw), is via Bow, Copplestone, Crediton (hard hill over to) Bickleigh and these roads are all fine but I sense you want to plan to stay on minor roads if you can. I think doing 90-110 miles a day you will soon reassess your enthusiasm for this: they are slower, hillier, much more difficult to navigate, and if the narrow yellow ones on an OS 1:50000 series map, more risky/dangerous (imo) than an A road.
My Day2 route took a more northerly route than yours, heading straight for Taunton rather than going via Tiverton - see link for your interest, but look at the line from Axbridge north to inform your Day 3 (the line @mjr has suggested).

Last edited:
On day 1 you would be better going along the A3075 and cutting across to St Columb Major following the A39 to Camelford to rejoin your existing route. This avoids a nasty section of the A30.
Day 2: the first part looks pointlessly hilly. I'd stick to the A3072 through Bow and Copplestone, then the back road (Higher Road) towards Crediton and the A3072 again to Bickleigh (a hilly but spectacular road—a favourite with cyclists). Past Tiverton and Sampford Peverall I wouldn't bother with the towpath, slow and full of dog-walkers. The road through Halberton is fine. The A361 will be busy at rush hour, not too bad otherwise; difficult to avoid without a major reroute from Taunton.
Agreed. That A30 through Devon/Cornwall is nasty, and quite a few cyclists have been killed along there. A few years ago I braved a 10 mile TT along there and I was crapping myself:cold:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Day 3 - I'm a bit confused by the sudden apparent change in the OP's philosophy. He has routed along lots of A roads after spending 2 days in east Cornwall, Devon and Somerset wiggling around to avoid them. Don't get me wrong: my preference, too, would be the A466 N of Monmouth and the A4110 N of Hereford.
So (with this revised philosophy) rather than heading for Monmouth via Trelleck on minor roads (22.7km + 385m) why don't you choose the A466 up the Wye valley past the iconic Tintern Abbey (25.1km + 251m). I work on 40m of climb is worth doing an extra km to avoid (and vice versa).
Personally, when planning Day 3, my first choice was via Devauden and Trelleck but once I'd cycled that route, (and having discarded the A466 'direct' route) I went over the Forest of Dean through Coleford and past Symonds Yat Rock and used the A4137 towards Hereford. A couple of km longer but similar climb and some pleasant terrain and views.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Day 4 - From Wall-under-Haywood, N of your climb over Wenlock Edge, I would go one road further east to avoid a gratuitous climb, bypass Cardington and then stay a bit further east and go via Acton Burnell and Berrington to get to central Shrewsbury.
Your exit from Shrewsbury looks complicated. I would head out on the Berwick Road past Gravel Hill (B5067) heading for Bomere Heath (back on your route).
When I looked at crossing the Mersey, the ferry was an exorbitant £10 (cost included an optional cruise up and down the Mersey) and was infrequent (an issue at 80+ miles). Had I gone that way (the industrial landscape of the Wirral and the road options put me off) I had resolved to take the railway tunnel (ie on a train) from Birkenhead Central to Liverpool Lime Street.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Day 5 - Liverpool to Dufton
I am wishing to stay away from busy roads as much as possible,
Your route NNE out of Liverpool seems to just follow the A59 trunk road (dual cariageway in places) almost all the way to Preston. Again, is this a deliberate philosophy change (see quote above)?
Here's an alternate line for you to consider. Crosses the Aintree racecourse: who has not heard of the 'Melling Road'? And then heads across to Eccleston and bypasses Leyland. The cyle route going into Preston is really worth it with a fantastic spot as one crosses the (one time railway) bridge over the River Ribble. See the route I took through Preston (worked well for me) and also the line I suggest keeping off the A6 as much as possible up to Lancaster (and away from adjacent M6 noise). Like your line north of there up the Lune valley (very close to / better than the line I took).
11999028_987215764673963_6371928608501978708_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Day 6 - Dufton to CrossLee
Your route needs amendment to start at Dufton (ie not Appleby).
Personally, after Newbiggin I would press on up the B6413 through Brampton and then NW to Longtown on the A6071. Neither road carries much traffic. I see little merit in cutting across (close) to the A7/M74 junction (44) and that route is 2.6km longer with the same climb . (Btw, your route looks to me as if you've just shoved a few waypoints into RwGPS and got the 'for cycling' algorithm to decide. I can only assume you don't enjoy route planning as much as I do.)
Heading north after Canonbie (good pub: Cross Keys), I'd stick to the minor roads parallelling the A7, using the A7 a bit, rather than divert (and climb) through Claygate.
Eskdale is just magnificent: the connoisseur's choice to get to Edinburgh (the LEL route comes south that way).

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Day 8 - Croslee to Perth
Are you using mountain bikes? Have you deliberately selected the Cross Border Drove Road / Thieves Road north of the Baddinsgill farmstead? This is north off the A702 from West Linton. It would be great if there was a cycleable (road bike) route across the Pentland Hills and I'm sure lots of people would ride it.
However, having enjoyed Eskdale, you either have to cut hard west and go round the hills through Carnwath, or press on NE and go through Edinburgh. I recommend the latter, via the B709 and the B7007. You might like to look at the LEL route (going the other way, mind) for ideas to get you to the city suburbs. The route through Peebles and then the A703 gets there too, just not with such inspiring scenery and it's A roads all the way.
Once over the Forth Bridge your route smacks again "as if you've just shoved a few waypoints into RwGPS and got the 'for cycling' algorithm to decide." and slavishly follows NCN1 and NCN775 to Perth. Lots of fun riding and navigation, but at the cost of progress. To get north of Loch Leven, look at the B981/B917 and then the B496 (which was once the (old) A road) or go through Ballingry (B920).

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Day 8 - Perth to Aviemore and Day 9 - Aviemore to Lairg and Day 10 - Lairg to John o' Groats
I assume you have researched the NCN7 cycle route which parallels the A9 and have made that choice consciously. Personally I have been put off by the mostly bad press it gets and have not ridden it. Maybe it is better now. 28mm tyres? Having gone for the eastern route (ie A9 rather than the Great Glen / A82) I guess you haven't much choice. Going via Glen Shee, Braemar and Lecht Summit is 170km and 150% more climb (2291m v your 129km + 845m).
I like your Day 9 route and hope after Tomatin, you'll find Strathdearn and the high road past Carn Eitidh rewarding.
Keep moving or the midges will get you.
On the run in (ie Day 10) Strathnaver is the best choice (as others have said) and you have amended the route to go that way. The NCN route you've followed from Reay to Thurso is much nicer than the main road. You don't seem to have made the promised amendment to take in Dunnet Head, yet. And while you're on that theme, you should consider whether the extra few km to visit Duncansby Head (Scotland's NE 'Land's End') is worthwhile. If you plan to, don't drop down the hill to JoG first. You'll struggle to muster the will to get back on the bikes, even for the 5km loop to the lighthouse on the headland.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Don't be jinxing the wind direction for me! :laugh:
Ooops. (Goes to touch wood)

Day 4 - From Wall-under-Haywood, N of your climb over Wenlock Edge, I would go one road further east to avoid a gratuitous climb, bypass Cardington and then stay a bit further east and go via Acton Burnell and Berrington to get to central Shrewsbury.
Your exit from Shrewsbury looks complicated. I would head out on the Berwick Road past Gravel Hill (B5067) heading for Bomere Heath (back on your route)........
Yes, No Yes to this.

• Yes, the road one to the east immediately after Wall under Heywood is a much easier climb - good call, I'd missed that RWGPS was using the other lane.
  • No, don't bypass Cardington - the direct road to Acton Burnell is a higher climb over the hills via Chatwall and is rather a slog. It also takes you a more undulating way with short but sharp climbs at Ruckley, Pitchford and Cantlop Bridge. Via Plaish is slightly less climbing but still a slog. If you want to see some great Shropshire scenery I would recommend this way.^_^ If you want to make progress the Cardington, Folly Bank, Comley, Longnor way is much easier.:okay:
  • Yes, going up Berwick Road would be a simpler way out of town and is the way that my earlier suggestion of turning left after Greyfriars Bridge and going through The Quarry along Victoria Avenue, then Smithfield Road would take you.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Day 3 - I'm a bit confused by your sudden apparent change in the OP's philosophy. He has routed along lots of A roads after spending 2 days in east Cornwall, Devon and Somerset wiggling around to avoid them.

@Ajax Bay thanks for the wealth of information - it will take me a while to get through it, my heads battered after work so I will have to save it for tomorrow night! Hat's off for creating the routes too mate - I really appreciate it.

With regards to the above - I am a little confused (could be as my brain is currently mush :wacko:) I have not gone on any A roads other than a short section at 23.5 miles into the ride when crossing the River Avon as there is no alternatives - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20771956

My philosophy is to find quiet (in terms of vehicle traffic) roads rather than busy ones. If it incorporates a little extra climbing/distance then I don't mind. I know on Day 1 this wasn't too clear, but that was because I was struggling to find a good route.

Day 8 - Croslee to Perth
Are you using mountain bikes? Have you deliberately selected the Cross Border Drove Road / Thieves Road north of the Baddinsgill farmstead? This is north off the A702 from West Linton. It would be great if there was a cycleable (road bike) route across the Pentland Hills and I'm sure lots of people would ride it.
However, having enjoyed Eskdale, you either have to cut hard west and go round the hills through Carnwath, or press on NE and go through Edinburgh. I recommend the latter, via the B709 and the B7007. You might like to look at the LEL route (going the other way, mind) for ideas to get you to the city suburbs. The route through Peebles and then the A703 gets there too, just not with such inspiring scenery and it's A roads all the way.
Once over the Forth Bridge your route smacks again "as if you've just shoved a few waypoints into RwGPS and got the 'for cycling' algorithm to decide." and slavishly follows NCN1 and NCN775 to Perth. Lots of fun riding and navigation, but at the cost of progress. To get north of Lock levenLook at the B981/B917 and then the B496 (which was once the (old) A road) or go through Ballingry (B920).

I checked the Cross Boarder Drove Road out on Google Street View and what you could see was tarmac, I take if from your post after Thieves road the surface is unsuitable for 28mm road bike tyres? I will look into your suggested routes if so, and follow your advice and go NE to Edinburgh.

With regards to the route after Forth Bridge, I had tracked the route myself to follow the bike path myself. Again the roads/route on Google Street View appeared to be acceptable, I have just checked it out again and I still think it looks a decent route. Why do you feel it would be at the cost of progress, is it because of the zig-zag's at around 70 miles? Thanks.

snorri

Legendary Member
Day 8 - Perth to Aviemore and Day 9 - Aviemore to Lairg and Day 10 - Lairg to John o' Groats
I assume you have researched the NCN7 cycle route which parallels the A9 and have made that choice consciously. Personally I have been put off by the mostly bad press it gets and have not ridden it. Maybe it is better now.
Works to convert single carriageway sections of the A9 between Inverness and Perth to dual carriageway may affect the nearby NCN path. I have not had any problem on the path in the past, but have not used it since road works commenced but would still choose to use NCN 7, even if roughed up a little, in preference to sharing the A82 with the hectic tourist and commercial motor traffic.
Much of NCN 7 between Inverness and Perth is actually on well surfaced local roads with light motor traffic rather than on a segregated path.

Ajax Bay

Guru
With regards to the above [alleged change in the OP's philosophy. He has routed along lots of A roads after spending 2 days in east Cornwall, Devon and Somerset wiggling around to avoid them] - I am a little confused (could be as my brain is currently mush :wacko:) I have not gone on any A roads other than a short section at 23.5 miles into the ride when crossing the River Avon as there is no alternatives
Afaics you use mainly A roads from Monmouth all the away to Leominster. That's what I was getting at (and I said that's what I'd do (and did)). I think you'll quickly tire of diving off on a detour from the main road btw. "ofi" and crack on.
When I looked the Cross Border Drove Road on Google Street View the road 'stops' at the Baddinsgill farmstead. Perhaps you have a different version. And I found the north end using street view - it's a metal gate to a path running alongside a wall beside a little car park, just east of the pylons. Perhaps a Scots member can share their local knowledge?

Top Bottom