LEJOG - local/previous knowledge required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Much of NCN 7 between Inverness and Perth is actually on well surfaced local roads with light motor traffic rather than on a segregated path.
OK I take that implicit concern back. I have seen riders struggling up the path adjacent to the Drumochter Pass but I can see that most of the path is on 'old roads' away from the A7 trunk road. The 25km south of Aviemore is particularly pretty.

snorri

Legendary Member
North of the Forth Bridge I would be inclined to follow the B981 through Crossgates, Hill of Beath, Kelty then rejoining your route immediately west of Loch Leven.
I followed the westerly route in your plan once, but only once as it involved a bit of climbing and as I remember had little to commend it.
(This may have been what AjaxBay was alluding to).

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Afaics you use mainly A roads from Monmouth all the away to Leominster. That's what I was getting at (and I said that's what I'd do (and did)). I think you'll quickly tire of diving off on a detour from the main road btw. "ofi" and crack on.
When I looked the Cross Border Drove Road on Google Street View the road 'stops' at the Baddinsgill farmstead. Perhaps you have a different version. And I found the north end using street view - it's a metal gate to a path running alongside a wall beside a little car park, just east of the pylons. Perhaps a Scots member can share their local knowledge?

Ok I see what you mean. The A466, yes it's a main road in that it's an A road but North of the A40 it looks fairly traffic free if you use street view on random points of the road. Maybe a local may be able to verify what traffic is like on this road as street view may have gone through a quiet time of the day.

Also local knowledge on the cross border drove road surface would be welcomed!

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was wondering if anyone has ridden the roads from 38-42 miles [Western Union canal from Halberton] and from 58-62 miles [Bridgwater and Taunton canal] and let me know if the road surface is suitable for 25-28mm road tyres.
I have ridden both those tow paths many times (on 25s). They are fine on 25s. If you have been happy with the Camel Trail north of Bodmin on Day 1, they'll both be like a carpet. As I said upthread, the Western Union (Halberton to the end (it was never completed)) has a few (road) bridges over where care is required. "Out of Tiverton I'd take the Blundells Road to Halberton before cutting onto the canal path. This canal path is good, though care is needed under the frequent bridges (unclip and shout - I suppose a prudent citizen would dismount and walk each one)." The Bridgwater and Taunton canal has a slightly better surface and some chicanes to slow the cyclist to sensible speeds. It tends to be a bit busier with walkers near Taunton but as soon as you're under the M5, it's a lovely (flat) route. Close to the end you pass a good pub (the Boat and Anchor) with the M5 close ahead. Further on on the Day2 route, the Strawberry Trail up to Yatton (along the line of the old railway line and through the tunnel (front light worth having but not 'necessary')) also has a good surface (also ridden several times both ways) suitable for 25s, though can be a bit muddy in the odd place if it has been wet. You are missing the very best off road surface for end-to-end which is, imo, the towpaths at the south end of the Great Glen (ie north of Fort William) which are 'time trial' quality. Take care to be on the sunny (E) side if late in the day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I have ridden both those tow paths many times (on 25s). They are fine on 25s.

Okay thanks for the information. Sorry I didn't realise in your previous post you were referring to these points in the route, my apologies. The route is great and I will use it - many thanks for your time and effort @Ajax Bay I will continue go through the other wealth of information you posted!

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Day 5 - Liverpool to Dufton Here's an alternate line for you to consider. Crosses the Aintree racecourse: who has not heard of the 'Melling Road'? And then heads across to Eccleston and bypasses Leyland. The cyle route going into Preston is really worth it with a fantastic spot as one crosses the (one time railway) bridge over the River Ribble. See the route I took through Preston (worked well for me) and also the line I suggest keeping off the A6 as much as possible up to Lancaster (and away from adjacent M6 noise). Like your line north of there up the Lune valley (very close to / better than the line I took).
View attachment 355983

Looks really good, the cycle route through present and River Ribble look good. The only thing I would change is to nip past the Elenor Rigby statute in Liverpool for a quite photo - plus it does take of a few meters off the ride :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
You asked about the surfaces of canal paths NE of Tiverton and E/NE of Taunton.
I think you might wish to ask for advice from others on the Camel Trail north of Bodmin. I have ridden it on 25s (uphill (50m in 10km!) both with and without a small load) but I'm conscious that my surface tolerance is quite high. Your initial Day 1 route included that section of the Camel Trail which is why I included it in my suggested Day 1 for you. The top (NW) section of the Camel Trail coming down from Padstow, through Wadebridge to the trail junction just N of Bodmin (where your route joins it) is a lovely fast, flat surface - the first 11km alongside the Camel estuary. The trail north from Bodmin is a wonderful ride of about 10km but a bit rougher.
Given that no sensible rider takes the dual carriageway A30 directly across Bodmin Moor, one has to go north or south of the moor. The route to the south is a lot hillier - Minions is a highlight (but a bit shorter if going to Okehampton). It does line you up for crossing Dartmoor (ie via Tavistock), if that's desired. Otherwise going to the north (ie through Davidstow), there are (essentially) 3 ways across the River Camel: Padstow -Rock foot (and bike) ferry; at Wadebridge (which can be accessed via either the A39 or via Padstow and the aforementioned Camel Trail (but that's a fair diversion)); or through/past Bodmin.
Having chosen Bodmin there are three ways to get north of the moor: A389 then B3266 to Camelford, Camel Trail (the route you drafted); or on minor roads // A30, then past Blisland and through St Breward. Your choice. My Day 1 choice was to do the A3075 to Newquay, head NE to Padstow, and take the ferry which sets you up for the B3314 from Rock all the way, almost, to Davistow. Adapting that to get to Okehampton gives you this: LE-Okehampton 174km + 2166m.
HTH

Brains

Legendary Member
Sounds like you had a bad experience @Brains? Thanks for the heads up, the edited route keeps me off the A30 other than 2 miles before Carland Cross.

I've just resurrected an old thread on the A30 subject on the main LEJOG forum.
I can't imagine you will find anyone that would ever describe cycling along the A30 as a pleasant experience.
It's a motorway in all but name for most of it's Cornish length.
I'm all in favour of cyclists being able to go where they like, but in this case there really should be signs at Marazion, Blackwater, Indian Queens and Bodmin saying words to the effect of; "route unsuitable for cyclists" (same as they do for HGV's)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
You asked about the surfaces of canal paths NE of Tiverton and E/NE of Taunton.
I think you might wish to ask for advice from others on the Camel Trail north of Bodmin. I have ridden it on 25s (uphill (50m in 10km!) both with and without a small load) but I'm conscious that my surface tolerance is quite high. Your initial Day 1 route included that section of the Camel Trail which is why I included it in my suggested Day 1 for you. The top (NW) section of the Camel Trail coming down from Padstow, through Wadebridge to the trail junction just N of Bodmin (where your route joins it) is a lovely fast, flat surface - the first 11km alongside the Camel estuary. The trail north from Bodmin is a wonderful ride of about 10km but a bit rougher.
Given that no sensible rider takes the dual carriageway A30 directly across Bodmin Moor, one has to go north or south of the moor. The route to the south is a lot hillier - Minions is a highlight (but a bit shorter if going to Okehampton). It does line you up for crossing Dartmoor (ie via Tavistock), if that's desired. Otherwise going to the north (ie through Davidstow), there are (essentially) 3 ways across the River Camel: Padstow -Rock foot (and bike) ferry; at Wadebridge (which can be accessed via either the A39 or via Padstow and the aforementioned Camel Trail (but that's a fair diversion)); or through/past Bodmin.
Having chosen Bodmin there are three ways to get north of the moor: A389 then B3266 to Camelford, Camel Trail (the route you drafted); or on minor roads // A30, then past Blisland and through St Breward. Your choice. My Day 1 choice was to do the A3075 to Newquay, head NE to Padstow, and take the ferry which sets you up for the B3314 from Rock all the way, almost, to Davistow. Adapting that to get to Okehampton gives you this: LE-Okehampton 174km + 2166m.
HTH

I have manged to get a few pictures of the Camel Trail north of Bodmin and it looks fine for a road bike with 28mm tyres. I would have preferred smooth tarmac but you cannot have it all! :laugh: However if anyone has recently been on it their views are welcome.

I am not sure if going on the route through Padstow and getting on the ferry would be cheating (although I will likely will be getting on the Mersey ferry if not the train :laugh: as I wasn't aware until this threat that you cannot get across through the tunnels on bikes other than late at night) The fares are pretty high - £4.00 just to take your bike on (subject to prevailing conditions) and another £4.00 for the fare?

Thanks again for all your knowledge and help @Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
It's not 'cheating' to go via Arran, Kintyre, Mull and Skye is it? One of the themes of my end-to-end was taking as many ferries as possible. In the event, the ferryman waived the fare, as I was going only one way (and riding LEJOG for RNLI - who got the £4).

Top Bottom