LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Entirely understand. I hold no candle for the suggested route, particularly, and will look for alternatives (eg N before Barrington).
Some suggestion that there are road diversions where we cross the A1(M) at J56/Barton Park services. Know any more about that? Going up to Barton village and crossing to Aldborough St John will cost only a mile (bridge across A1).
That's an ambitious schedule, facilitated by only 2 sleep stops: 6 hours then 7. My 'time in hand' is from a 100 hour schedule (ie averaging 14.37kph)

Agreed it's ambitious; I rode a <69 hour PBP on one short sleep stop and this time I've added another. Hopefully that'll be enough.

For diversions the LEL FB page shows the test rider finding some this week in that area. Sometimes it's possible to get through but they appear to be concerned about 1500 riders.

North of Thirsk is new to me, although I've ridden around Alston before. No clue about routes and I was recovering from a pile of broken bones last year so didn't get to test-ride around that area unfortunately which was the plan.

tatr

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and install mudguards. Damnit.

I've updated the planning spreadsheet to:
- Make the distances in line with the offical GPX files (they might change again thanks to diversions, but not by much).
- Add a second tab which generates a couple of different top-tube labels.

The top tube labels are designed to be printed out and stuck to your TT under some clear waterproof tape. It's aligned to the official GPX files and shows destination, total distance at the end of the GPX segment, total climb, planned arrival and departure time, and control closing time. For intermediate controls it shows how far they are into a GPX segment.

There are a couple of things you might need to change to make it work for you:
- Start time on the first tab.
- Min speed (which should be 12.385 kph for 116 hour riders - 5 s.f required to make it reasonably accurate).
- Highlighting on the TT tab for planned long stops is manual.

Attachments

• LEL ss with tt strip.xlsx
    28.3 KB · Views: 27

fatjel

Veteran
The plan as of now is to have a really easy Sunday.
Get to Louth and have 4-5 hours kip
Early start Monday steady ride to Brampton another 4-5 hours kip
Early start Tuesday should see us in Edinburgh early afternoon
Return to Loughton stopping when and if necessary
I'm not aiming for a fast time 115 hours 59 minutes would be just fine

Last edited:

tatr

My mental loop on rides tends to be:
- How far have I come?
- How much further to go?
- How long is it going to take at 20kph?
- Can I keep to a 20kph average if I stop for a pint?
- How much climbing have I done?
- How much is left?
- Why am I doing this again?
- Repeat.

The labels are designed to answer all of these questions without complicated mental calculations :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
For diversions
RwGPS plotted diversion
N6
0.1 1st R [@ LH bend] (MIDDLETON TYAS) 36.3
2.7 MIDDLETON TYAS, R (Croft, Piercebridge) 39.0
Note — diversion from original route
0.2 R @ T (Moulton, Croft) 39.2
In Barton !CAUTION! FORD / WATER-CROSSING
4.2 L @ T by The Half Moon Silver Street 43.4
S3
0.4 2nd exit @ O [under A1(M)] (Barton) 22.6
Note — diversion from original route
1.5 BARTON, R by The Half Moon Marygate 24.1
In Barton !CAUTION! FORD / WATER CROSSING
4.1 MIDDLETON TYAS, L (MOULTON) [one way street] 28.2

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru

Ajax Bay

Guru
Some suggestion that there are road diversions where we cross the A1(M) at J56/Barton Park services. Know any more about that? Going up to Barton village and crossing to Aldborough St John will cost only a mile (bridge across A1).

Diversion route hack
(for @DCLane ) a km shorter and 40m less climb! Avoids A1(M) junction roundabout and uses B6275 north for a mile, before cutting W through AStJ.

tatr

I've got a set of PDW metal fenders ready to go for my audax bike.

Packing mostly done. Basically carrying emergency gear and making the best use of drop bags.

Still need to tape spare spokes to my frame and pack a spare mech hangar... and zip ties and electrical tape... maybe I need a bigger bag ^_^

KjiRl6O.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
SKS chromoplastic fitted last week. It'll take longer than you think, remember, though if I was fitting my raceblades it'd be a few minutes only. By the way, I'd say the majority on Mille Pennines didn't have mudguards fitted, and we had rain/drizzle about 20% of the time (as forecast). But less trains.

tatr

Spare spd cleats and bolts too. At this rate I'm going to be carrying enough parts to build a new bike.

Trickedem

Guru
I've been thinking about packing and I've ordered some new clothes and things.
I'm starting at 12.15, rider number X4
My plan is too see how tired I am at Louth, then maybe get 2-3 hours. I will then push on to Brampton, but may stop at Alston depending on timings for another sleep. On Tuesday I hope to get back to Brampton for another sleep. Wednesday back to Pocklington, then Thursday push on home. My sleeps will be governed mainly by how much time I have in hand. See you on the road. I am on a Titanium Van Nicholas, with a single Orlieb pannier.

Top Bottom