LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Diversion route hack (for @DCLane ) a km shorter and 40m less climb! Avoids A1(M) junction roundabout and uses B6275 north for a mile, before cutting W through AStJ.

I would urge caution if you do use Doctors lane. There is a tight right hand bend @8.4km with a tendency to be flooded, underneath the flooding is gravel and large potholes. The holes were so large earlier this year that it was diverted round via the Melsonby then to Barton on the Yorkshire Gallop audax. People who did use it had to walk through it!

On the Southbound, you will get a great view across the Vale of York (subject to weather of course!) as you descend from Melsonby.

iLB

Hello there
So this is actually happening then.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I would urge caution if you do use Doctors lane. There is a tight right hand bend @8.4km with a tendency to be flooded, underneath the flooding is gravel and large potholes. The holes were so large earlier this year that it was diverted round via the Melsonby then to Barton on the Yorkshire Gallop audax. People who did use it had to walk through it!

On the Southbound, you will get a great view across the Vale of York (subject to weather of course!) as you descend from Melsonby.

Ah, Melsonby, scene of the post mistress murder, involving thieving, infidelity, and an attempted cover-up.

In short, it was like a real life episode of Midsomer Murders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-13115705

Ajax Bay

Guru
urge caution if you do use Doctors lane. There is a tight right hand bend @8.4km with a tendency to be flooded, underneath the flooding is gravel and large potholes.
Thanks for the warning. It is not flooded at the moment, I'm told (barman at The Stanwick public house in AStJ) but by lunchtime Monday; who knows?

Would others, including @iZaP, care to share/update their plans (and start times)? [Or should I go and get the bag packed instead of wasting time on Cycle Chat?]

14:30 start - GG12, I would rather have been earlier but am determined not to fixate on it. This is so far beyond anything I've done before that any planning has to be a total stab in the dark. Very roughly hoping for, Louth first and fourth night, Brampton second and third. Hopefully finishing late Thursday or early Friday with 8-10 hours in hand.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes there is limited space to sleep there according to the website. I'm taking a tent as I don't think the 'beds' will be for more than a few hours. Guess it depends when you finish, in more ways than one.
London
Northbound: 0 km
Southbound: 1441 km
Mandatory: Yes
Bag Drops: No
Bed Capacity: 50

http://www.davenantschool.co.uk

Limited beds available at the finish.
There will be no beds available at the start.

Ajax Bay

Guru
they have the location of Moffat Academy given at it's old address in Academy Road. Confusingly, Moffat Academy is no longer in Academy Road. It was closed a couple of years ago and a new school opened at Jeff Brown Drive
I sent Phil W an e-mail and it has been amended - thank you.

tatr

My plan is too see how tired I am at Louth, then maybe get 2-3 hours. I will then push on to Brampton, but may stop at Alston depending on timings for another sleep. On Tuesday I hope to get back to Brampton for another sleep. Wednesday back to Pocklington, then Thursday push on home.

Looks like a good schedule! 240k, 314k, 305k, 220k, 360k.

That last day will be long and hard, possibly chasing the time limit, though.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm not aiming for a fast time 115 hours 59 minutes would be just fine
Actually, with the diversion at Middleton Tyas, 116 hours, 64 minutes would be OK too.
That last day will be long and hard, possibly chasing the time limit, though.
If @Trickedem has 360km (Pocklington) to go at 0500 Thu, a 1215 start means you have till 0820 Fri to finish.13kph average will get the rider there, or 15kph with a 3 hour kip at St Ives (say). Entirely doable, even with a headwind.

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
The LEL 2017 sticker alongside the 2013 version. I have now taken delivery and will have them at Innerleithen control. £5.00 for 7 or £1.00 per sticker CASH ONLY with all profits to RoadPeace. Don't worry if you forget or don't have time at the control as they are available in the LEL shop with an additional cost for PayPal and P&P.
20292695_10154746335346186_5369131045645669263_n.jpg

Top Bottom