LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My favourite rider interaction at Innerleithen. Cyclist whose first language is not English approaches serving hatch. "Hello sir. What can I get you?" I say gesturing to the savoury and sweet delights layed out on display before him. "Muffins." he says patting his head. I point out the blueberry muffins before him and ask "...would you like anything else?". "Muffins" he says with more urgency. Perplexed I explain these are the only muffins we have but add there is some caramel shortbread and chocolate brownies if he prefers. "MUFFINS." he says with exasperation, now holding both his ears. Turns out he wanted ear muffs. I gave him some plastic gloves which he fashioned round his ears. He might have been better with the muffins.

Nebulous

Guru
My favourite rider interaction at Innerleithen. Cyclist whose first language is not English approaches serving hatch. "Hello sir. What can I get you?" I say gesturing to the savoury and sweet delights layed out on display before him. "Muffins." he says patting his head. I point out the blueberry muffins before him and ask "...would you like anything else?". "Muffins" he says with more urgency. Perplexed I explain these are the only muffins we have but add there is some caramel shortbread and chocolate brownies if he prefers. "MUFFINS." he says with exasperation, now holding both his ears. Turns out he wanted ear muffs. I gave him some plastic gloves which he fashioned round his ears. He might have been better with the muffins.

My favourite interaction as a cyclist. Not sure if I want to say this, because the volunteers and staff have been great. However there was a short lull in the serving of food, as they had ran out. A short orderly queue had formed and some more food was found. A person not in the queue came over and beckoned to the person serving, who moved aside to speak to him. I only heard her side of the conversation - but imagine a still game accent. "You're whit?? A vegan is it, oh I don't think we have anything for you." She then went and spoke to someone else and quickly found him a meal.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Food has been a problem. Apparently the riders ate Louth and Spalding out of food including the stuff that was supposed to be for the way back so they had to re-stock, and Pocklington were getting worried then as well. I had a late night Tesco run from Thirsk when we weren't sure we had quite enough to tide us over (we did - Stefan our chef was amazing and his planning was almost spot on).

I think running back into the control with 50 bananas singing the Banana Splits theme tune rather confused the Indian riders that were in the canteen :biggrin:

Nebulous

Guru
Food has been a problem. Apparently the riders ate Louth and Spalding out of food including the stuff that was supposed to be for the way back so they had to re-stock, and Pocklington were getting worried then as well. I had a late night Tesco run from Thirsk when we weren't sure we had quite enough to tide us over (we did - Stefan our chef was amazing and his planning was almost spot on).

I think running back into the control with 50 bananas singing the Banana Splits theme tune rather confused the Indian riders that were in the canteen :biggrin:

I've been thinking a bit about payment systems. People don't value things they see as 'free.' You only have to look at eat all you can buffets to see the amount of wastage. A rider in front of me took an apple from his pocket, took one bite and threw it away without looking behind, narrowly missing me. Would he have done that if he had had to pay for it? There were flapjacks saying one per rider. I heard someone say he ate one before he left and had another in his pocket.

Our local beer festival charges something like £10 to get in, with everyone getting a glass and from memory £4 or so of tokens. They are in sheets, with £2 worth on each sheet. All their staff are also CAMRA volunteers, so the tokens save them from handling cash or working tills. LEL could do the same. Provide tokens for meals to be handed in when you get one. If you need more you can buy them. That would focus the mind before taking something and leaving it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
All done this lunchtime in 99 hours - rider Q40. I really struggled with achilles issues from 100km so just kept going without sleep apart from the odd hour. Most riding was spinning in first gear at 90-120 cadence.

Almost all of my riding was solo including Moffatt out, Yad Moss and the fens all done at night.
Wow. Wow. Just Wow.

Congratulations

I've been thinking a bit about payment systems. People don't value things they see as 'free.' You only have to look at eat all you can buffets to see the amount of wastage. A rider in front of me took an apple from his pocket, took one bite and threw it away without looking behind, narrowly missing me. Would he have done that if he had had to pay for it? There were flapjacks saying one per rider. I heard someone say he ate one before he left and had another in his pocket.

Our local beer festival charges something like £10 to get in, with everyone getting a glass and from memory £4 or so of tokens. They are in sheets, with £2 worth on each sheet. All their staff are also CAMRA volunteers, so the tokens save them from handling cash or working tills. LEL could do the same. Provide tokens for meals to be handed in when you get one. If you need more you can buy them. That would focus the mind before taking something and leaving it.

Speaking as a volunteer, I would hate this. I've already said elsewhere on the internet that I'm out for 2021 if they increase the number on the start list because I couldn't face it (I was apprehensive about 1500, and rightly so because it was in several respects a shitload harder than a thousand back in 2013 due to the increased field) but my other deal-breaker would be having to do cash handling or any kind of pseudo payment system.

(edited to correct the quoting that had somehow kablooeyed when I answer on my phone originally)

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
All done this lunchtime in 99 hours - rider Q40. I really struggled with achilles issues from 100km so just kept going without sleep apart from the odd hour. Most riding was spinning in first gear at 90-120 cadence.

Almost all of my riding was solo including Moffatt out, Yad Moss and the fens all done at night.

Awesome David. Really awesome. Congrats.

What's the cut-off time? A couple of my clubmates had 11 minutes "in hand" arriving at Spalding, and minus 40 minutes on leaving.

They were in the group which set off at 12.30pm on Sunday.

What's the cut-off time? A couple of my clubmates had 11 minutes "in hand" arriving at Spalding, and minus 40 minutes on leaving.

They were in the group which set off at 12.30pm on Sunday.
I'm too tired to calculate finish times... But you can divide their remaining km by 12 (it is a 12kph min isn't it?) and add on their time in hand as shown on the tracker (which unlike the brevet cards is I believe adjusted for the extra 12 1/2 mins each way due to a diversion) to see how long they have. Control distances on the route page of the website.

[QUOTE 4905819, member: 10119"]I'm too tired to calculate finish times... But you can divide their remaining km by 12 (it is a 12kph min isn't it?) and add on their time in hand as shown on the tracker (which unlike the brevet cards is I believe adjusted for the extra 12 1/2 mins each way due to a diversion) to see how long they have. Control distances on the route page of the website.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I tried that and came up with a time which is clearly wrong. I tried it many times and none of the answers seems right - if so, they'd need to finish within the next 30 minutes which is clearly not right!

Top Bottom