LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks, I tried that and came up with a time which is clearly wrong. I tried it many times and none of the answers seems right - if so, they'd need to finish within the next 30 minutes which is clearly not right!
I think I have worked out that it is 8.30am tomorrow.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Marmion - my 10:30 am start cut - off was 9:55 am. I'd suggest 11:55 am Friday.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
All done this lunchtime in 99 hours - rider Q40. I really struggled with achilles issues from 100km so just kept going without sleep apart from the odd hour. Most riding was spinning in first gear at 90-120 cadence.

Almost all of my riding was solo including Moffatt out, Yad Moss and the fens all done at night.
Epic effort. Well done!

My club mates have made it to St Ives with 29 minutes in hand according to the tracker, the timings are confusing the hell out of me as that should mean they only have 100km to go but have until 11.55am to complete? Not sure how that works out!

@Marmion - my 10:30 am start cut - off was 9:55 am. I'd suggest 11:55 am Friday.

I thought it was meant to be 117 hours (apart from the 100 hours group natch) for the time limit? Plus the extra 25 minutes for the diversion... surely that would be a 7:25 on Friday cutoff for a 10:30 starter? Mind, I'm completely frazzled so, y'know, I could be completely wrong!

My club mates have made it to St Ives with 29 minutes in hand according to the tracker, the timings are confusing the hell out of me as that should mean they only have 100km to go but have until 11.55am to complete? Not sure how that works out!

St Ives to Loughton is more like 120km, isn't it? So about 10 hours plus the 29 minutes in hand to give them about 10 and a hald hours to get there in.

[QUOTE 4906040, member: 10119"]I thought it was meant to be 117 hours (apart from the 100 hours group natch) for the time limit? Plus the extra 25 minutes for the diversion... surely that would be a 7:25 on Friday cutoff for a 10:30 starter? Mind, I'm completely frazzled so, y'know, I could be completely wrong!

St Ives to Loughton is more like 120km, isn't it? So about 10 hours plus the 29 minutes in hand to give them about 10 and a hald hours to get there in.[/QUOTE]
Aye, Niall has just posted on FB - he says 120km to go and reckons it's a 9.00am finish time.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I chatted with a chap from RAF Marham on my way to late lunch this afternoon. He was saying 'first and last time' and that he would be over the cut off time but would keep plodding on. He was with a family group who were kicking on a bit. Nice chap, I hope he gets back safely. I told a few riders about the fresh grit on the back road to Boston.

iLB

Hello there
I'm not really sure how that turned out so well, honestly.

On the last weekend in June we attempted a 400 miler. It was a complete shambles. Complete and utter.

Fast forward a month to LEL: Andy has spent two of the last 3 weeks in the US. Maybe he remembers how to pedal still? Meanwhile I spent the week before tramping around the North York Moors with 20Kgs on my back, ending up sore to say the least. Not exactly vintage prep.

A few days out I've got a saddle sore, never had one before...finally decide to add guards to my bike and watch Andy finish *hand sewing* his bespoke panniers into the wee hours of Friday night. Far from ideal.

Saturday comes and we panic buy more AA rechargeables.

We make it to the start line, but in true fashion have missed our group by a few minutes not to mention we didn't get the brevet cards stamped.

Onwards. Over taking. Lots of overtaking.

Two hours into the flat lands and Andy has knee pain. I've packed ibuprofen and there is more up the road in a drop bag.

We ride on into the night and cross the humber before grabbing some slumber. But I hope you can see how unlikely going sub 100 was looking.

Andy @arallsopp carried on through pain I'm sure would have seen many others scratch. We did all we could to manage the pain and kept revising the plan. Finishing apart wasn't really an option. Its incredible that he kept going through the hilly sections, but I'm so glad he did. He should be immensely proud of finishing, not to mention bagging sub 100 and putting the ride to bed.

When many others might have been really suffering in the early hours of Thursday morning, as we headed to Spalding I was convinced we had it in the bag - and we even chatted about what might come next. More than ever we know its all in the head.

Top Bottom