LEL, audax newbie, navigation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
Hiya
A newbie to the forum and audaxing.
Am riding LEL 2013 and not fancying the idea of using the route maps other than as backup.
Any advice on best means of using GPS ? I know nothing about how to get best use of the gpx files that the event site supplies?

Have ridden LEJOG in 7 days so reasonably comfortable with the distances and RAAM as a relay so comfortable with the varied riding timing, is just the navigation I'm concerned about.

Do car satnavs in a handlebar bag help for example ? Have a Garmin 705 but only ever use it for post ride data, so not clear if that's much use for navigation (small screen not ideal).

Any ideas really appreciated.

I'll be the one with the pink spinergy wheels !!!

frank9755

Cyclist
Garmin 705 is ideal.
The main issue is battery life. The best option is to take a PowerMonkey or battery extender: basically a box with a few AA batteries in which plugs in to it. Someone will be along shortly with a specific recommendation.
Good luck.

tonyg52

I use a Dakota 20
Big plus takes AA batteries.
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the higher end Garmin's but is straight forward to use'
I use open street map and mike my own routes on bike hike.

OP
OP
S

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
I use a Dakota 20
Big plus takes AA batteries.
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the higher end Garmin's but is straight forward to use'
I use open street map and mike my own routes on bike hike.

Thanks Tony
Do you know if this model allows gpx files to be loaded into it? Not something I've ever done before

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I doubt you'd be able to get a phone to last all five days though.

I use a Garmin 20, which takes aa batteries. To use the gps files from LEL, I would download them as a track and put them in the gpx folder of the device. Following a track doesn't give you the turn reminders, but does allow you to just follow the line on a map which suits me.

ACS

Legendary Member
Etrex Vista HCX

Used by many AUK's. Takes AA batteries, almost bullet proof and has a proven track record amonst the long distance community.

Lot of information here

Discussion here

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I have a Garmin Edge 800 and I'll map the route as a TCX file. The Garmin will then tell me where to go from there.

I'll extend the battery life with a few Anker Astro2 devices I would imagine. One on the bike and one in each bag drop.

OP
OP
S

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
Etrex Vista HCX

Used by many AUK's. Takes AA batteries, almost bullet proof and has a proven track record amonst the long distance community.

Lot of information here

Hiya , sounds interesting. What's the main advantage of these over says 705 or 800 .... Just price?

Daft questions I know, just want to make the right choice here.

I like the gradient feature on my 705 but other than that as long as a new unit lets me know average speed, speed, distance etc and most importantly tells me when to turn , then that will do me great. Batteries sounds the way to go I think. I see you're a fifer !

Discussion here

ACS

Legendary Member

Sixpackorkeg

I'm not really in a position to make a comparison between the Vista HCX and other Garmin products apart from the obvious pricing structure. I purchased the HCX in 2010 having taken a lot of advice from the Audax community. My issue being when I’m tired I get disorientated fairly easily and I wanted a device to stop me from ‘going scenic.’ I was finding the stress of trying to navigate using the route guide was spoiling my experience and wanted something to help with the decision making process.

I still carry the route sheet and familiarise myself with the route using Google Maps beforehand. I make up my own route files sectioning the route into divisions based on control points. This way if I do go scenic the device calculates the route to the end of the leg being ridden not the final control point.

The HCX gives me reassurance about my direction of travel, distance and time to the next turn, average and moving speed. The device is robust, water proof and runs off AA batteries a real bonus if you are a full value rider and take part in some of the longer Scottish events. 2x Duracell’s last about 12 hours to 14 hours.

As to being a Fifer, close, a Scouser living in exile.

Top Bottom