LEL, audax newbie, navigation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
is it a better option ? I don't know, it's all I've used. Not perfect by any means, but most of the shortcomings have well documented work-arounds

Yes. Many of the free online mapping sites enable that if you have downloaded the free Garmin Communicator plug in.
Or use the Mapsource/Basecamp software that comes with the Etrex (I think you can also download Basecamp for free)

Hi Pete
Sorry to be a pain, just double checking....your etrex give turn by turn guidance or is it the follow the crumbs kind of stuff.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Pete
Sorry to be a pain, just double checking....your etrex give turn by turn guidance or is it the follow the crumbs kind of stuff.
They can be used either way, but I consider the breadcrumb trail vastly superior because you can see way in advance where you will be going and get ready for it. When I tried turn by turn, I managed to get the arrow pointing the wrong way for a few metres and then it told me to do a u-turn!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hi Pete

Both.
The track gives me the breadcrumb trail. The way I set up the route (which Garmin would no doubt say is the least efficient way) gives me the turn-by-turn. I once (and only once) tried to let unit do the navigating for me. Now I'd rather spend the time getting a "routepoint" corresponding with each instruction on the audax routesheet. Having both track & route is as close to foolproof as I can make it.
There are some very clear instructions on one way to do this on arallsopp's youtube channel.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Can gpx files be loaded straight onto the unit?
yes and you do not need special software to do it.
create you gpx file by any one of the gazillion ways
connect your gps (etrex) to pc via usb and bring it up in mass storage mode
copy gpx files to the approrpriate folder on gps.
disconnect gps and restart.
use as normal.

OP
OP
S

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
The OP already has a 705 so there's no point in him downgrading to an eTrex!
A 705 is ideal - just needs a battery pack.

Frank. Never loaded anything into my 705 before . Is it easy ? Do you happen to know if the gpx files for LEL will then signpost me for the whole route ?
Am truly rubbish at the techy stuff.

OP
OP
S

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
The OP already has a 705 so there's no point in him downgrading to an eTrex!
A 705 is ideal - just needs a battery pack.
Oh and do you know if I need to load up some decent maps? Never struck me as much good when I took a mosey at the ones on there

ColinJ

You shouldn't need to worry about mapping on the GPS - just do what it tells you to do! My Etrex doesn't have any mapping capability whatsoever but I have ridden about 25,000 km with it and never got lost; I just follow the line on the screen.

frank9755

Cyclist
Just do what Greg says, above.
And Colin sums it up. The Garmin maps don't have much detail but they are perfectly adequate for navigating as you don't need much. Basically you are just following the pink line which will tell you which turnings to take.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
pink. the pink line is good. the pink line is your friend.

I've had an Etrex SD card go awol during a battery swap. Even with next to no mapping the little pink line got me to my destination.

ColinJ

My line is grey. The line colour doesn't matter - just follow the line!

Unless there is a massive sink hole in the road ahead ...

amazing_fun_quaint_weird_offbeat_20090728074023333.jpg

In which case - find an alternative route! :laugh:

OP
OP
S

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
Hopefully a last daft question ? Am guessing the LEL gpx files have lots of waypoints... Is there a limit to how much I can load into my 705 ? Am thinking I might buy a second hand etrex too so that I have backup.... Sound sensible?

ColinJ

Hopefully a last daft question ? Am guessing the LEL gpx files have lots of waypoints... Is there a limit to how much I can load into my 705 ? Am thinking I might buy a second hand etrex too so that I have backup.... Sound sensible?
Have a look at Frank Kinlan's Dummies Guide to the Garmin Edge 705 - that should sort you out.

You shouldn't need a backup device, but if you want one - nickg is selling his Etrex H here.

Top Bottom