LEL, audax newbie, navigation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Another Vista HCx user here.
.. although if I was buying new now it would likely be an Etrex 20 or 30.

The GPX files supplied on the LEL site are "Tracks".
The older models like the Vista just display these as breadcrumb trails on the screen - that you can then follow.

There is a different kind of gpx file called a "Route" which was used by these older units to provide navigational guidance.
I use both track & route... there is a cunning way of doing this that gets the screen to light up and beep as you approach each route sheet instruction although it is quite long in the preparation stage.

The newer Etrexes can apparently "navigate" along both "tracks" & "routes".

Sadly, neither old nor new models enable one to display the "instruction" in big enough font for my aging eyes.... so if you see me with my nose down near the stem you'll know why !

Sixpackorkeg
The HCX gives me reassurance about my direction of travel, distance and time to the next turn, average and moving speed. The device is robust, water proof and runs off AA batteries a real bonus if you are a full value rider and take part in some of the longer Scottish events. 2x Duracell’s last about 12 hours to 14 hours.
Good rechargeables like Eneloops or Vapex will last upwards of 20 hours. Lithium "disposables" even longer.

Reactions: ACS

PpPete

Legendary Member
Another useful tip....on the Etrex models like the Vista HCx- and might work on the newer ones too
They have a mini USB port for data transfer, but will also take power this way.
If you want a permanent re-assuringly backlit screen during the night hours, but don't want to waste battery during the day by un-necessary backlighting, just plug in a cache battery or even one of those little "emergency" phone chargers that run off additional AA cells.

OP
OP
S

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
Another Vista HCx user here.
.. although if I was buying new now it would likely be an Etrex 20 or 30.

The GPX files supplied on the LEL site are "Tracks".
The older models like the Vista just display these as breadcrumb trails on the screen - that you can then follow.

There is a different kind of gpx file called a "Route" which was used by these older units to provide navigational guidance.
I use both track & route... there is a cunning way of doing this that gets the screen to light up and beep as you approach each route sheet instruction although it is quite long in the preparation stage.

The newer Etrexes can apparently "navigate" along both "tracks" & "routes".

Sadly, neither old nor new models enable one to display the "instruction" in big enough font for my aging eyes.... so if you see me with my nose down near the stem you'll know why !

Good rechargeables like Eneloops or Vapex will last upwards of 20 hours. Lithium "disposables" even longer.

Loving all this advice, so just checking....given a choice, the etrex is a better option? Gives more turn by turn type help?

OP
OP
S

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
Sixpackorkeg

I'm not really in a position to make a comparison between the Vista HCX and other Garmin products apart from the obvious pricing structure. I purchased the HCX in 2010 having taken a lot of advice from the Audax community. My issue being when I’m tired I get disorientated fairly easily and I wanted a device to stop me from ‘going scenic.’ I was finding the stress of trying to navigate using the route guide was spoiling my experience and wanted something to help with the decision making process.

I still carry the route sheet and familiarise myself with the route using Google Maps beforehand. I make up my own route files sectioning the route into divisions based on control points. This way if I do go scenic the device calculates the route to the end of the leg being ridden not the final control point.

The HCX gives me reassurance about my direction of travel, distance and time to the next turn, average and moving speed. The device is robust, water proof and runs off AA batteries a real bonus if you are a full value rider and take part in some of the longer Scottish events. 2x Duracell’s last about 12 hours to 14 hours.

As to being a Fifer, close, a Scouser living in exile.

Haha. I'm a Geordie in Polmont !
Your pitch is exactly where my head is at, don't want to think too much about the navigation.
Have asked another user for their views on etrex, as that sounds like it gives a bit more turn by turn instruction but yours doesn't ? Or am I misunderstanding ?

Reactions: ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
Haha. I'm a Geordie in Polmont !
Your pitch is exactly where my head is at, don't want to think too much about the navigation.
Have asked another user for their views on etrex, as that sounds like it gives a bit more turn by turn instruction but yours doesn't ? Or am I misunderstanding ?

Last word. Link to the conversation I had with @ColinJ about this very subject. Hope it is of interest.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
buy an etrex (mine's a 20 used to be an HCx) stick opencyclemaps on it, plot your chosen path as a track, download it on the etrex, follow the line on the screen. I've never got more than 20metres or so off track in five years. turn directions and course points are helpful but I've not ever really found them necessary and have given up on them apart from when using the "Where to?" in-built route planning on the device when my plan has changed. ymmv.

bobcat

Probably been asked before, but can I use an etrex to record ride distance for d.i.y. audax validation?

OP
OP
S

Sixpackorkeg

Regular
buy an etrex (mine's a 20 used to be an HCx) stick opencyclemaps on it, plot your chosen path as a track, download it on the etrex, follow the line on the screen. I've never got more than 20metres or so off track in five years. turn directions and course points are helpful but I've not ever really found them necessary and have given up on them apart from when using the "Where to?" in-built route planning on the device when my plan has changed. ymmv.

Can gpx files be loaded straight onto the unit?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Loving all this advice, so just checking....given a choice, the etrex is a better option? Gives more turn by turn type help?
is it a better option ? I don't know, it's all I've used. Not perfect by any means, but most of the shortcomings have well documented work-arounds

Can gpx files be loaded straight onto the unit?
Yes. Many of the free online mapping sites enable that if you have downloaded the free Garmin Communicator plug in.
Or use the Mapsource/Basecamp software that comes with the Etrex (I think you can also download Basecamp for free)

Top Bottom