Lengthening a chain on a 3-speed hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've got a Batavus with a 3-speed hub, it currently has an 18-tooth sprocket on it.
I want to replace this with a 22-tooth sprocket but there isn't enough length in the chain (the bike has close-fitting mudguards so I can't just slide the wheel forwards)
Would I have to add another 4 links to the chain (one for each extra tooth) to get it to fit?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
yep ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've got a Batavus with a 3-speed hub, it currently has an 18-tooth sprocket on it.
I want to replace this with a 22-tooth sprocket but there isn't enough length in the chain (the bike has close-fitting mudguards so I can't just slide the wheel forwards)
Would I have to add another 4 links to the chain (one for each extra tooth) to get it to fit?

Hope that works.

I tried something similar, but two extra links made the chain too long, and one extra made it too short.

Very little movement in the wheel due to tight mudguards, so I ended up with a chain tensioner.

Looks fine:
Chain tension1.1.jpg

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Thanks - my wheel is right up against the mudguard with the current chain length and a 22 tooth sprocket.
I reckon two links (one inner, one outer) should make it useable again.
If it doesn't I'll just put the chain back to how it was and get a 20 tooth sprocket off ebay.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks - my wheel is right up against the mudguard with the current chain length and a 22 tooth sprocket.
I reckon two links (one inner, one outer) should make it useable again.
If it doesn't I'll just put the chain back to how it was and get a 20 tooth sprocket off ebay.
Go on lash out on a new chain, I just got a track and heavy duty one for less than £8.

That is very clean isn't it.

Top Bottom