Lense colours...which does what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

I have a pair of Mighty brand sunglasses...cheap I know...but darn good for the £10 I paid quite sometime back.
Anyhow.
They come with interchangable lenses.....al UV protective.
At the moment I have the standard black tint lenses in them.
The clear lenses I assume are for the darker days whereby you still need protection from the elements....but what are the smokey blue lenses, red lenses ad yellow lenses for?

Varying degrees of light?:biggrin:

Cheers

Steve

domtyler

Über Member
If you put a blue lens in the left and a yellow one in the right you will be able to see straight through womens clothing.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
...whereas blue in left and red in right will make everything appear in lifelike 3D.

Lens colors play an important role in the performance of your sunglasses. You should choose a color based on the way your eye reacts to it. Different colors can cause different visual sensations in everyone, so choosing your lens color is a very personal decision. To give you a better idea of how each color performs, here are the basic characteristics of each.
Grey is the most popular lens color for general use because you can wear it for simple activities like driving or high-energy outdoor pursuits. Outside colors will remain the truest with grey lenses. Reds will stay red and blues will stay blue. Grey lenses flatten light to help you maintain normal depth perception. Grey lenses are good for everyday, all-purpose wear because they provide true color definition while fighting glare.
Green lenses, like grey lenses, ensure that outside colors remain true. Green lenses also absorb UV rays well.
Brown lenses are especially effective at filtering light in hazy, foggy, or low light conditions. Brown lenses improve depth perception and contrast in various light conditions. These are very popular for skiing, boating, and driving.
Yellow lenses enhance depth perception, although outside colors can be somewhat distorted.
Rose lenses, like brown, effectively filter light and improve contrast (much like a ‘haze’ filter on a camera). Many people consider rose-colored lenses to be the easiest on their eyes over a long period of time.
Some sports-oriented sunglasses have interchangeable lenses. These lenses can be removed from your sunglasses and easily swapped for a different-colored lens to adapt to changes in light conditions or activity.

(From this site).

Rudy Project have a summary of the various colours.

Personally:

Graded transparent for darkness and dusk, as well as those consistent grey days
Racing red for mixed days
Smoke Black for sunny days
Mirror black for the really bright rides - early morning into the sun or really bright summer days.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Cheers guys. The Oakley guide is pretty good. Quite snazzy. :biggrin:
Shame I don't the money available for some Oakleys.

I am currently using the smokey bluey grey colour lenses at the moment as yesterday was fairly grey with sunny outbreaks every now and then....my eyes felt fine and vision was no probs. Will use them again today.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have a set of similar cheap glasses. Mostly I use the standard sun glasses. But last night instead of the clear lenses I rode with the grey tints, they did well at reducing headlight glare and still allowing me to see in the dark.

buggi

Bird Saviour
my mate bought some sun glasses off a tv shoppping channel once. they had the same stuff covering the lens that eagles have covering their eyes to protect them from sunlight. can't remember what it's called but i do remember them being advertised at the time.

had a look through them (they were yellow) and have to say THE WERE FECKING GREAT! It took the glare off everything and i could see everything 100 times more clearly (that's a guess by the way), like in high definition or something. colours and shapes were really defined. i could count the leaves on the trees.

must ask her what make they were.

Top Bottom