Lesser known film recommendations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
If you like the sound of Tampopo, you could try Takashi Miike's "Visitor Q" for more Japanese sex, bullying and weirdness.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I always wondered if I should take credit for being the person whose question gave birth to the Internet Movie Database (look for my name in the text), and who will apparently go down in history as being the first Usenet IMDB post !!

Eternal fame of some sort, I suppose :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(Wonder if they owe me any money for starting the ball rolling ?
Any lawyers out there care to comment about intellectual property rights etc ? If the original script that led to the IMDB says ".. based on an idea by XXX" in the code, would XXX be entitled to ask them for a few bob ? :o)

Odyssey

goo_mason said:
Have you tried these war-based films ?

9th Company - Russian conscripts' experiences in Afghanistan; based on a true story
Indigenes (Days Of Glory) - French Algerian soldiers in WW2

I caught the 9th Company on Film 4, I think it was, a couple of weeks a ago. I'll have to seek out the other one though.

Few more...

Bad Taste - forget Lord of the Rings, this is Peter Jackson's best. It has become more of a popular/cult hybrid classic than a real cult classic, so I'm sure most people are aware of it, but if they're not they need to be. Unless of course, you don't like gore...

Black Sheep - if Bad Taste is right up your street, then surely this is too. Killer sheep. What more can you ask for?

Grave of the Fireflies - Japanese Anime from the Ghibli collection. Not everyone's cup of tea, and it's another war film. Cartoons can be for grown ups too.

Top Bottom