Lesson learned NEVER ride without your helmet !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No talk of the weight or size of the helmets causing further injury, or being the cause of injury.

The damage to your head will remain the same having hit the floor.

And I'm not having a pop at you, it's looking at the issue of helmet use from a different standpoint. It covers wearing one while walking as well.
I'm guessing when it comes to Epilepsy, each individual is assessed separately; some 'need' to wear a helmet, some don't, some aren't allowed to drive whilst some can (I think?). Not sure its a worthy comparison to be honest.

classic33

Leg End Member
Talking of different standpoints - which is often a good thing - what are your thoughts on Olympic Boxing removing helmets a few years ago?
Don't watch boxing*, so can't offer an honest opinion.

*Unless you count the Rocky movies.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm guessing when it comes to Epilepsy, each individual is assessed separately; some 'need' to wear a helmet, some don't, some aren't allowed to drive whilst some can (I think?). Not sure its a worthy comparison to be honest.
It's the same part of the body they're protecting, the head. The effect on the head, upon impact, is the same. Your head comes to a sudden stop, but your brain remains "bouncing around" inside your skull, regardless of any exterior damage suffered. I doubt the body differentiates between any impact, by cause.

They are worn whilst walking, covering the often raised question of would you wear one whilst walking, not cycling.* However there's no talk about going "round with a bag of sugar on your head", which will add to any injury suffered. "It will feel odd/uncomfortable at first until you get used to it", with no mention of rotational injuries being caused by them.

From a standing fall(log fall), the head of person can be doing in excess of 30mph by the time it hits the ground.

*So far the choice on wearing for either is mine, and I'd prefer it to remain my choice. Not someone making that choice for me.

MontyVeda

the design of epilepsy hats is very different to the standard cycling helmet though. They're not a rigid mushroom shape, and doing a quick google image search for 'epilepsy hats', some of them look like normal hats.

Rotational injuries come about when falling off motorbikes/pushbikes at high speed and glancing off the road.

Studies show brain injuries from rotation, in impacts where there isn't enough linear g-force to damage the brain i.e. it's a new injury type brought on by headwear.

Re: log falls. I'm speculating here, but someone having a seizure would have less reflexive defence mechanisms such as throwing an arm out. So injury causes and types will be different to a (conscious) cyclist.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I always thought it was around 12mph* in the case of a log fall

*no idea why. I might have read it or imagined it... both are equally reliable in my book.

That sounds about right. 30 mph certainly isn't.

si_c

Guru
That sounds about right. 30 mph certainly isn't.

It's very definitely not. You can come up with a reasonable estimate by treating the human body as a pendulum with a known weight at the end (the head) and estimating the total potential energy and the consequent impact velocity in the vertical plane (ignoring any side to side motion as that wouldn't change the impact velocity).

Doing that with an approx 5kg head (slightly heavier, but a round number) for someone 2m tall (roughly my height, and also easier to calculate) gives an impact speed of between 12 and 13 mph.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
.From a standing fall(log fall), the head of person can be doing in excess of 30mph by the time it hits the ground.

Not sure where you get 30 mph from. If someone trips up then gravity with accelerate their head to around 12-13 mph by time it impacts the ground. That assumes their feet are no longer in touch with the ground. If the feet remain in contact and the person pivots then the impact speed will be less.

MontyVeda

It's very definitely not. You can come up with a reasonable estimate by treating the human body as a pendulum with a known weight at the end (the head) and estimating the total potential energy and the consequent impact velocity in the vertical plane (ignoring any side to side motion as that wouldn't change the impact velocity).

Doing that with an approx 5kg head (slightly heavier, but a round number) for someone 2m tall (roughly my height, and also easier to calculate) gives an impact speed of between 12 and 13 mph.
I think Dave was saying my 12mph estimate sounds about right... which your calculation agrees with. :smile:

si_c

Guru
I think Dave was saying my 12mph estimate sounds about right... which your calculation agrees with. :smile:
Yep, that's the way I read it too.

Of course, one thing that is worth bearing in mind is that the shorter you are the lower your impact speed. Possibly the only benefit of being a short-arse:evil:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
so if a standing (log) fall results in a head impact of around 12mph, and the standard 'cycling' helmet is tested to impacts of around 12mph, is it not more suited to being marketed as a pedestrian helmet? (perish the thought! who'd fall for that?!)

Depends.

You would have to look at stats (if they exist) on how often in a collision (a) the cyclist's head hits the object being collided with, or (b) the cyclist comes off and hits their head on the ground.

Bear in mind that even if you fall off your bike at 30 mph, the vertical component of your velocity when you hit the ground (which is the bit that matters) will still only be about 12 mph.

Top Bottom