Lesson learned NEVER ride without your helmet !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mistyscot

On Wednesday we decided to go for a short ride on our mountain bikes along part of the Suffolk costal path.. as we were preparing we discussed wearing or not wearing helmets.. we always wear them when road riding.. but it's a grassy trail with no traffic so no real hazards but we decided that it would be prudent to wear.. the day you don't is the day you wish you had..I had hit a pot hole, partly hidden by grass , probably a rabbit hole. I went over the handlebars and did a face first landing on the gravel path ! Face in a right old state.. nose and chin grazed and bleeding and arm swelling by the minute.. I got some water and cloth to help with the pain and wipe the blood away. My other half cycle home to get the car and went to the Hospital , X-ray a shows wrist broken in two places .. so plaster for 6 weeks.. no more cycling for awhile.

Lesson learned, NEVER ride without your helmet. even when going slow and on a grassy trail or cycle path and you think it will be safe without.. don't tempt fate.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
A well fitted helmet would have helped with all that.

Ajax Bay

Guru
as we were preparing we discussed wearing or not wearing helmets.. we always wear them when road riding.. but it's a grassy trail with no traffic so no real hazards but we decided that it would be prudent to wear.. the day you don't is the day you wish you had..
Lesson learned, NEVER ride without your helmet.
Hope the wrist heals well.
Just so as I (we) are clear "we decided that it would be prudent to wear [helmets].."
So were you wearing one or not?
On a point of order: this is a lesson (re)identified (your assessment). A lesson is not 'learned' unless a change is made.
A well fitted helmet would have helped with all that?
I have inserted a question mark. HTH

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
My other half cycle home to get the car and went to the Hospital , X-ray a shows wrist broken in two places .. so plaster for 6 weeks.. no more cycling for awhile.

Like @Smokin Joe, I won’t comment on the rest of your post, but I will wish you a full and speedy recovery.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm glad you feel that the wearing of the helmet saved you from further harm, how you assessed that with it's failure to stop your wrists being broken, your nose, chin being scraped & from your arm being cut I'm unsure. But get well soon & I hope they reset your wrists better than they reset my leg.

Top Bottom