Lesson learned NEVER ride without your helmet !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ohhhhh my last message is awaiting mod approval :smile:
Welcome to the Dungeon :becool:

View: https://youtu.be/6frfeIdln6Y

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
On Wednesday we decided to go for a short ride on our mountain bikes along part of the Suffolk costal path.. as we were preparing we discussed wearing or not wearing helmets.. we always wear them when road riding.. but it's a grassy trail with no traffic so no real hazards but we decided that it would be prudent to wear.. the day you don't is the day you wish you had..I had hit a pot hole, partly hidden by grass , probably a rabbit hole. I went over the handlebars and did a face first landing on the gravel path ! Face in a right old state.. nose and chin grazed and bleeding and arm swelling by the minute.. I got some water and cloth to help with the pain and wipe the blood away. My other half cycle home to get the car and went to the Hospital , X-ray a shows wrist broken in two places .. so plaster for 6 weeks.. no more cycling for awhile.

Lesson learned, NEVER ride without your helmet. even when going slow and on a grassy trail or cycle path and you think it will be safe without.. don't tempt fate.
Possibly the most sensible post on the forum to date

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I managed to break off the ends of my radius and ulnar in a motorcycle accident decades ago. I was very lucky to have the right surgeon at the right time in A&E. Too close to my wrist to have plates, so through manipulation, he did a very good job. So good in fact that I have so much movement it wouldn’t stand in an industrial tribunal had it been a work injury.

That said as I get older it gives me gip if I bang it or fall on it in cold weather.

Let’s hope your wrist mends. GWS.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
When I hear people argue against the compulsory use of cycling helmets I’m reminded of the arguments used by smoking lobbyists a few years ago. But each to his own.

D

Deleted member 26715

When I hear people argue against the compulsory use of cycling helmets I’m reminded of the arguments used by smoking lobbyists a few years ago. But each to his own.
I believe this is different, there is proof that smoking is bad for you, there is no proof that wearing a piece of polystyrene on your head will have any benefits, the OP for instance didn't sustain any less injuries due to wearing/not wearing said polystyrene.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
OP isn't a he, maybe that'd help.
Help what? So far as I know men and women don't have different responses to injury, different responses to risk, different attitudes to the truth or different ability to understand simple arguments.

The fact is that the OP didn't, apparently, hit the part of her head that would have been protected by a helmet, so her OP is irrelevant to the argument about whether they are useful, and will join the extremely long list of people over-claiming protective properties to the extent of magic.

Top Bottom