L'Etape du Tour - Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onthe_road

"I staggered back to my bike, hoping that it had been stolen. But there it was, waiting for me like a loyal companion."
I can relate to this!

Thats very interesting, epecially since his time up to that point was very respectable, then it took 4 hours to make the climb!

Not that making the climb isnt awesomely impressive within itself. I wondered to myself today whether I could plod up the Ventoux in my lowest gear, taking as many stops as I liked - I think i know the answer now!

simon_brooke

That's like nearly four Mennock Passes stacked one on top of the other; or like three Green Lowthers. That's a sturdy but not impossible climb, if you hit it fresh at the bottom. There is no way I could do that at the end of 167Km, however, and there's no way I could do it in 25 Celsius heat. Chapeau to anyone who completes it even once.

I'm familiar with that strange euphoria you get towards the end of a really tough ride, when your brain drifts off onto all sorts of weird fancies and you laugh at the slightest thing. But it sounds to me like what he was suffering from was pretty severe sunstroke, as well...

I'd like to ride the Ventoux, just once, to say I'd done it. But not in a crowd of 9000 riders - that just doesn't seem sensible or safe to me. You're going to need water, and plenty of it. You're going to need to go at your own pace...

But it's one of the ones I'd like to tick off before I finally hang up my pedals.

I've done the climb 4 times this week and it doesn't get any easier! Yesterday was carnage with so many rfdiers and cars and campervans. There was a coach at the top for some reason and it blocked traffic for a while so I was able to enjoy the descent into Maulescene unhindered. Warm tarmac and grippy pro3 tyres makes the previous 2 hours of pain worth it...

longers

Legendary Member
Are you over there permanently Cheadle Hulme or holiday?
Noticed you've changed your location, that's all.

Blimey. That certainly puts the climb into perspective.

Worryingly it also piques my interest in doing it!

Hmm. Time to start the 4 year training plan.

Ventoux 2013, here I come.....maybe! :biggrin:

stumpy

I'm doing it in Aug....I'm so excited but also crapping it.:sad:

I've been talked into doing all three route in one day so I think i might be joining Mr Simpson on one of them...xx(

Wasn't to nervous untill I watched it on Saturday an read that article....;):blush:;):blush::biggrin:
Never agree to do something when your drunk......

CotterPin

Best of luck and let us know how you get on Stumpy.

I have climbed it twice, both times from Malucene. It took me a little over two hours the second time. I quite like the idea of trying every route up in one day (and I am writing this stone cold sober!). Next year I am looking to do a series of cycle challenges to celebrate (!!) turning 50. Maybe one to try then?????????

Bob

I rode up Ventoux in 2000 on the day of the Tour stage, along with thousands of others. It was a great experience, but don't feel you need years of training and support vehicles etc. I did it on a mountain bike with slick tyres, and there were all sorts doing it - tandems, tourers with full panniers, all ages. Don't plan years ahead, just do it!:wacko:

Bob said:
I rode up Ventoux in 2000 on the day of the Tour stage, along with thousands of others. It was a great experience, but don't feel you need years of training and support vehicles etc. I did it on a mountain bike with slick tyres, and there were all sorts doing it - tandems, tourers with full panniers, all ages. Don't plan years ahead, just do it!:eek:

Ah, but I want to do it in style passing the finish line with my arm aloft and grinning as if I have won a stage at the TdF. To do this I need years of practice....... to be able to ride no hands! :wacko:

RabbitFood

I think im obbsessed too already looking into how to do it

and why as a kid could i never ride my MTB with no hansd but after 5 months on my racing bike i can do this rather easily for a long time???

Top Bottom