LEtoJoG Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJoker

Hello all
Sorry if these questions have been asked many times before.

I have always fancied cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats and I think I'm going to have a go this year (if not this year then next)

I have a Specialized Rockhopper but I don't know whether it would be suitable for a trip like this?
We have cycle to work scheme in work and I was thinking of getting a Marin Point Reyes on it. Would this be a better bike?

I will probably be doing this solo so would need panniers of some description. What would you recommend?

Any advice on bike, route, equipment or training would be greatly appreciated

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
TheJoker said:
Hello all
Sorry if these questions have been asked many times before.

I have always fancied cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats and I think I'm going to have a go this year (if not this year then next)

I have a Specialized Rockhopper but I don't know whether it would be suitable for a trip like this?
We have cycle to work scheme in work and I was thinking of getting a Marin Point Reyes on it. Would this be a better bike?

I will probably be doing this solo so would need panniers of some description. What would you recommend?

Any advice on bike, route, equipment or training would be greatly appreciated

Any bike can be used but some bikes are more suitable than others. You have toi consider how comfortable your bike is for 60 miles per day over a fortnight or so and the ease of fitting panniers and racks to your bike. Suspension forks have their own problems when fitting pannier racks but the problem is not unsurmountable.

I'm not convinced that the Marin is a suitable steed for the ride considering that there are far cheaper and better suited bikes. Have a look at:

• Raleigh Royale
  • Edinburg Bike Co-operative's Revolution Country Traveller and Country Explorer
  • Dawes Galaxy
  • Dawes Kara Kum
  • Dawes Horizon
The three come with mudguards and rear racks making them ready to tour with suitable panniers.

You also have upto £500 spare to spend on the tent, sleeping bag, camping accessories and panniers.

As for panniers everyone has their faavourites. Pick from Altura, Carradice and

You could also go and visit the LEJOG forum on read the postings there before asking some questions as you'll get a good idea of what's already been recommended in terms of kit.
Visit it here

There's also plenty of accounts of rides to read here

Visit SpaCycles to see ehat they have on offer. They could be your one stop shop for kitting up. See their site here

OP
OP
T

TheJoker

Hi and thanks for the reply

The Rockhopper was a replacement for one that was stolen.
I was quite happy with my old Rockhopper and this one is the better frame so i cant see why i wouldn't like it?

I was thinking of selling this for something more suited for comuting to work and for the trip.
The only off roading i ever do is canal tow paths and i could use any bike for that.

But i do wonder about the logic of selling this to buy something else when this might do the job just as well.
I have plenty of lightweight camping equipment so there is no point in spending the money on that

With the discount it would cost me about £600 for the marin

I was thinking of using YHA's for overnight stops? Or would this be problematic?
Rob

Top Bottom