Let's have a Blues thread as well

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Don't understand it myself. Jazz is better because it's more clever and fiddly. Blues is for when you've lost the will to think and comprehend stuff.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Abitrary said:
Don't understand it myself. Jazz is better because it's more clever and fiddly. Blues is for when you've lost the will to think and comprehend stuff.

How do you know that Jazz is more clever and fiddly if you don't understand the blues.

Do you play an instrument?

Jazz doesn't give me goosebumps but I can appreciate the skill of the musicians. Both Jazz and Blues "break the rules" and use their own scales. Both skllfull, different, I wouldn't say either is better more clever or fiddly myself.

Abitrary

MichaelM said:
How do you know that Jazz is more clever and fiddly if you don't understand the blues.

Do you play an instrument?

Jazz doesn't give me goosebumps but I can appreciate the skill of the musicians. Both Jazz and Blues "break the rules" and use their own scales. Both skllfull, different, I wouldn't say either is better more clever or fiddly myself.

No I don't play an instrument, I have tried though. I understand what the blues *actually* is because I like a drink and get a hangover sometimes as well.

Blues doesn't break the rules!! It sounds like the same chords and moaning by whoever does it. Jazz is cool because you have different stuff like Benny Goodman and Jamiroquai... and they all do different fiddling, which if you multiply it is about one trillion times more fiddly than the blues.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Abitrary said:
No I don't play an instrument, I have tried though. I understand what the blues *actually* is because I like a drink and get a hangover sometimes as well.

Blues doesn't break the rules!! It sounds like the same chords and moaning by whoever does it. Jazz is cool because you have different stuff like Benny Goodman and Jamiroquai... and they all do different fiddling, which if you multiply it is about one trillion times more fiddly than the blues.

So Delta style acoustic blues and Piedmont style both sound the same?

And the Blues scale follows the conventions of classical music?

If you prefer Jazz to the Blues that's fine. But to say one is better, or more clever and fiddly is at best ignorant.

Abitrary said:

Though with that you may well be taking the piss.

Abitrary

MichaelM said:
So Delta style acoustic blues and Piedmont style both sound the same?

And the Blues scale follows the conventions of classical music?

If you prefer Jazz to the Blues that's fine. But to say one is better, or more clever and fiddly is at best ignorant.

Blues doesn't follow classical music because that is even more fiddly than jazz. Blues would have to catch up with jazz first before it could compete with classical.

I'm not alone in preferring jazz, because most people could name you something like 'in the mood' the one from the war, 'cosmic girl' by jamiroquai or 'this is not america' by david bowie and pat metheny the jazz guitarist.

Noone could name a blues song.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Abitrary said:

Looks like you're just out to be awkward for the sake of it.

Abitrary

MichaelM said:
Looks like you're just out to be awkward for the sake of it.

Not at all my friend. I seem to like blues at least a little better than the non repliers to this thread.

If someone names a blues song they know, then I will disapear from this thread like a shadow in the night.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Abitrary said:
Not at all my friend. I seem to like blues at least a little better than the non repliers to this thread.

If someone names a blues song they know, then I will disapear from this thread like a shadow in the night.

Almost any song with a I,IV,V chord progression, i.e. a basic three chord song, descends from the tradition of 12 bar blues (think Status Quo!). That's the basics of it, it can be heard in the link I posted, at it's most advanced by the likes of Rev Gary Davis, Blind Blake (and many others).

Famous I.IV,V? Blue Suede Shoes, Peggy Sue (not strictly Blues, I'm making a point here).

Goodnight Irene? not sure whether that was MJH or Leadbelly first, maybe even older.

Another I.IV,V progression

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
So I said to the bartender "Hey man,what time is it?"

And Hubgearfreak said "get your arse down the stairs and fetch me a beer"

Abitrary

Noone yet has named a blues song BTW.

Just you and me MichaelM, in this thread for eternity, with our voodoo souls.

Top Bottom