Lets have another holiday thread to brighten us up.....where will you (hopefully) be going ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Our trip to Austria was cancelled earlier in the year so not booking anything this year. I think it’ll take some time for restrictions to ease so without been sure I’m not prepared to take the risk.
I’m sticking to the beautiful Yorkshire Dales, particularly Wensleydale & Swaledale for extended weekends and the odd week or two at our holiday home (caravan).

pawl

Legendary Member
We have a cottage booked forMay held over from this year. We will not consider going if the area is in tire three I should get my Jab early Jan MrsP not tillApril

The very beginnings of a plan to cycle to Barcelona was hatched on Christmas evening. :okay:
An excellent trip :bravo:
I avoided Barcelona itself on my big jaunt but feel free to message me if you want to compare notes (although how useful mine will be is highly debatable)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Well, supposed to be:
La Gomera at the end of March. - Carried over from last year, but I don't see it happening.
Red Sea at the end of May. - Carried over from last year. Iffy.
Scapa Flow at the end of September. Currently slightly less iffy.

I would also like to spend at least another week somewhere with Mrs B. The remoter the better so far as I am concerned, but Mrs B is way more sociable than I, so that will be a compromise.

PK99

Legendary Member
Canada for 4 weeks from early July - postponed from July 2020. We get money back form Trailfinders if still covid banned

Puglia - 2 week foodie tour

Madeira

Cullinary & wine tour of Kent

Way of the Roses

Normandy with friends @ their cottage

Lost of catching up to do after a few years traveling lost to illness and Covid

Last edited:
For my part, at the start of the decade I said I was going to climb all of the Munros in the 2020s.
Thus far, as a result of covid and a lack of transportation, I have logged... none (or one, if you count Beinn Dorain which I climbed 10 years ago during my West Highland Way trip)

So, I'm hoping to get through some of the more accessible ones, if/when covid becomes enough of a non-issue.

Meanwhile: are there any YouTube travelogs worth watching ?
Not strictly speaking a travelog, but the Rare Earth series by Evan Hadfield (astronaut Chris Hadfield's son) is really very excellent and each episode is focused on a different, usually lesser-known subject in the areas in which he is visiting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPfak9ofGSn9sWgKrHrXrxQXXxwhCblaT

The first 20 or so episodes are focused in Japan, but after that he goes to such diverse places as Chile, Armenia, the Balkans, Cambodia, Albania, Somalia, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Cuba, and others I've likely forgotten

Slick

Guru
An excellent trip :bravo:
I avoided Barcelona itself on my big jaunt but feel free to message me if you want to compare notes (although how useful mine will be is highly debatable)
Never one to miss an opportunity, so I will definitely take you up on your offer. 👍

GrandadRob

PK99 interesting that you mentioned Trailfinders. We are thinking of a big holiday this year, but scared to book just in case we loose our money. Just contacted Trailfinders for their cancellation policy. Our usual travel insurance through the bank has opted out of anything Covid.
Also to those booking in the UK, we tried recently, expecially Scotland, but found that they have so many bookings transferring from 2020, that it was difficult to book. We will go somewhere and live in hope.

Julia9054

Guru
I think we will all be checking cancellation policies/travel insurance small print much more carefully in future.
I have lost money this year by going for the cheapest option on things and while I haven't lost a fortune, it is still really annoying and a lesson for the future.

Not planning on anything until there is less uncertainty about restrictions.

If things are OK hoping for a few short breaks around the UK and holidays in Italy and Nice.

Retirement gives flexibility, so fingers crossed. :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
PK99 interesting that you mentioned Trailfinders. We are thinking of a big holiday this year, but scared to book just in case we loose our money. Just contacted Trailfinders for their cancellation policy. Our usual travel insurance through the bank has opted out of anything Covid.
Also to those booking in the UK, we tried recently, expecially Scotland, but found that they have so many bookings transferring from 2020, that it was difficult to book. We will go somewhere and live in hope.

As posted elsewhere we have just had a 100% refund from Traifinders for a cancelled Xmas new year trip to madeira. Their Peace of Mind policy guarantees full refund if holiday cancelled because of Covid plus their in-house insurance policy covers all thing covid while travelling.

Being a private company, they have built big reserves over the past 40 years and unlike most companies do not use your deposit as company finance.

They offer exceptional service at a fair price.

We do our research, and tell them what to book and get a better deal than booking direct. BA Culled Calgary as a destination a week or so ago, first we knew of it was a phone call from TF giving us revised bookings with WestJet.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Europe?

If only we had an EHIC card still... travel insurance options on agency booked travel will; be increasingly expensive... still got travel insurance cover through NatWest- must check out whether that;'s still viable!

Top Bottom