Lets have another holiday thread to brighten us up.....where will you (hopefully) be going ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Canary Islands. A walking holiday.
Sounds a bit warm :rolleyes:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
not planning another holiday until 2024, which is another total eclipse in North America. Currently toying with San Antonio which is on the edge of the path, but also tempted by Eerie, PA and Prince Edward Island which boasts a lot of disused railway for cycling, but could be a bit nippy in April. Still... got plenty of time to think about it.

lane

Veteran
I have a P&O ferries voucher that I am attempting to spend from my cancelled Hull - Zeebrugge - Rotterdam - Hull cycle tour.
Trying to book for the last week in July 2021. Unfortunately the P&O internet booking system implodes at the word bicycle so I have to do it via phone call. Still waiting for calls back to say it is booked

We had one to Belgium (Zeebrugge) but as that route is to close we got our money back. The website is irritating but have always found the staff really helpful over the phone. Will probably be a tour in the Netherlands although will investigate options to get a train from Rotterdam and start elsewhere possibly Belgium.

Julia9054

Guru
We had one to Belgium (Zeebrugge) but as that route is to close we got our money back. The website is irritating but have always found the staff really helpful over the phone. Will probably be a tour in the Netherlands although will investigate options to get a train from Rotterdam and start elsewhere possibly Belgium.
My original outward route was Hull - Zeebrugge but both ways via Rotterdam is an acceptable alternative. My booking is with Direct Ferries - who are lovely but as an agent have to contact P&O on my behalf which just adds an extra layer of buggering about.

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn't there meant to be an equivalent scheme to EHIC being put in place?
Only for people unable to get travel insurance to cover chronic or serious illness from what I’ve just read. Everyone else will need proper travel insurance

Last edited:
Only for people unable to get travel insurance to cover chronic or serious illness from what I’ve just read. Everyone else will need proper travel insurance
Doesn't read that way to me?

The deal on the future relationship between the EU and the UK was announced on 24 December. It says that all EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date.
After that, the UK will issue a new card. The UK government says the new card will be called the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), but there are no further details yet on how to obtain it.
Like EHIC, the new card will cover chronic or existing illnesses and routine maternity care as well as emergencies.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Just had a morning holiday walking in a misty area.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Reliance on EHIC and saving on travel insurance has always been a stupid thing to do - as the every year sad tales of expensive repatriation after injury or illness attest.

My holiday insurance cost (bank account linked) will not rise.

Not our experience.

We have been retired for almost 14 years. We have been travelled mainland Europe, overland, for approximately 5 months out of each year (except 2020, when we had to had to curtail our trip, and return from Spain, due to the start of lockdown 1 restrictions).

We have trice needed medical assistance in that time, once in France (dental treatment, for my wife, after falling off bicycle), and once for myself, in Spain, after what was described as an "Ischemic Incident".

In both cases we received treatment, at least as good as previous NHS experiences, via EHIC card, in fact, my wife's dental treatment was also less expensive than UK NHS experience.

We were/are aware of the risk if repatriation should be needed, or, indeed if death should occur.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Not our experience, see post elsewhere in this thread. The EHIC card entitled Visiting UK Citizen to same treatment as a citizen of the relevant EU Country.

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn't read that way to me?

The deal on the future relationship between the EU and the UK was announced on 24 December. It says that all EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date.
After that, the UK will issue a new card. The UK government says the new card will be called the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), but there are no further details yet on how to obtain it.
Like EHIC, the new card will cover chronic or existing illnesses and routine maternity care as well as emergencies.
Not exactly travel insurance tho. That’s not the article I read.
There appear to be minimal details. I personally never travel anywhere without comprehensive insurance including Europe. For example, in Greece only certain public doctors, hospitals and clinics were covered by EHIC not private ones which are a majority (I know as I got sick on holiday there last year)

There appear to be minimal details. I personally never travel anywhere without comprehensive insurance including Europe. For example, in Greece only certain public doctors, hospitals and clinics were covered by EHIC not private ones which are a majority (I know as I got sick on holiday there last year)
Don't really know what you're trying to say?

I replied to a thread where someone stated that the NHIC cards were no longer, I simply pointed out that wasn't true, what has having additional travel insurance got to do with anything?

The cards were always an addition to proper insurance, as is still the case.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Quite. Same in Spain, France, etc. The EHIC Card entitles you, as a visitor, to same State provided treatment as a citizen of that (EU) Country. You wouldn't expect to roll up to a Spire Hospital in UK, and get free treatment (unless it was an NHS outsourcing exercise).

vickster

Legendary Member
Quite. Same in Spain, France, etc. The EHIC Card entitles you, as a visitor) to same State provided treatment as a citizen of that (EU) Country. You would expect to roll up to a Spire Hospital in UK, and get free treatment (unless it was an NHS outsourcing exercise).
Presumably you mean wouldn’t expect?

Top Bottom