Lets rescue Britains forgotten 1930s cycleways.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting stuff, nice video; there is one near me that I only identified after reading this thread.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lost-cycle-ways.218097/

petek

Über Member
From visiting rellys ( by car) back in the 1950s I seem to remember a well kept cycleway all the way along the old A6 trunk road. Or did I dream it?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I believe this is one of the 1930s routes (on the right) which would be part of my commute (Cambridge). Sadly the surface is terrible so I use the road.

1930s cycleway.jpg

Further along between Bottisham and Newmarket you can still see traces of the original concrete slabs of the cycleway by the A1303.

Bottisham.jpg

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
From visiting rellys ( by car) back in the 1950s I seem to remember a well kept cycleway all the way along the old A6 trunk road. Or did I dream it?

The length of the A 6 is the section between Loughborough and Derby,a much changed section the building of the M1. The section that had a cycle path was if memory isn’t failing was from Kegworth to Shardlow

Thinking about the above it may have started just after Hathern.
I do rember being out training with a mate,and being stopped by a police car which was the old Morris Mogi and being told in no uncertain terms to get on the cycle path.Being law abiding teenager we complied.In fact it was more about that you didn’t argue with the cops back then.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
I didnt know the CTC had such a project to abandon.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
On checking, Carlton realised his book 'Bike Boom' back in June.
The video I posted was likely part taken on 12th September when our paths crossed.

The Kickstarter site shows a report was to be published for backers, one backer requesting a presentation. (marked for October)
Its an interesting project, many of the pathways certainly worthy of listed building type status

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKscQLkM3s

That is the original video for promotion of the project. I now suspect Carlton emailed me with a footage link of the video he was shooting, himself asking my views on usage of the Great North Road cycleway when on the A167.

It would be great if all these old ways got history markers. I am curious about the dates of quite a few I have come across. Such as the Haverton Hill cycle path, near Stockton and Middlesborough

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
That concrete cycleway was good.. it looked like a Dutch cycle route and as a bonus it had a directional force field sucking the cyclist along for no effort.

Top Bottom