'Lost' cycle ways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Just saw "Google Street View used to discover 'lost' cycle ways" on BBC News...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39847740

Looks interesting, though I'm not entirely sure I'd go along with the "lost" angle for all of them. Judging by the linked map, the two nearest me (Formby bypass and Southport coastal road) were certainly in a bad state of disrepair and unusable back when I used to ride those routes in my youth, but these days they're maintained and in pretty decent condition.

Alan

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've just been reading that too. Interesting to see paths near me on the Links Road at Blyth are marked. I have always known those as cycle paths but I never imagined they'd been there since the 1930s.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Looking at those I know:

Much of the A47 Swaffham-Dereham one can be deduced to have been on the south side by how far back the gates, drains and hedges are, but sections have been stolen for laybys and wide sweeps into side roads. It predates the Wendling-Scarning-Dereham bypass, where the A47 now follows the former railway.

The Wymondham Bypass shown is probably the B1172 rather than the recent one. That has recently been rebuilt with a cycle track alongside again... if they built just 2km of cycle track alongside the B road to connect to Hethersett, there would be OK tarmac direct all the way into Norwich.

I'm pretty sure all three Milton Keynes ones are either part of the modern redway network or made redundant by redways. It's surprising to learn that this unloved scruffy mostly-not-red cycle track in MK http://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.059764,-0.838219,80.31h,-15.91p,1z is Britain's second-oldest one.

toffee

Guru
Looking at those I know:

Much of the A47 Swaffham-Dereham one can be deduced to have been on the south side by how far back the gates, drains and hedges are, but sections have been stolen for laybys and wide sweeps into side roads. It predates the Wendling-Scarning-Dereham bypass, where the A47 now follows the former railway.

The Wymondham Bypass shown is probably the B1172 rather than the recent one. That has recently been rebuilt with a cycle track alongside again... if they built just 2km of cycle track alongside the B road to connect to Hethersett, there would be OK tarmac direct all the way into Norwich.

I'm pretty sure all three Milton Keynes ones are either part of the modern redway network or made redundant by redways. It's surprising to learn that this unloved scruffy mostly-not-red cycle track in MK http://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.059764,-0.838219,80.31h,-15.91p,1z is Britain's second-oldest one.

Always wondered why that path lead to an cycle underpass.

D

Deleted member 23692

The alleged two in Nottingham (Wollaton Vale and Woodside Road) were a sparsely populated back lane and an estate cul-de-sac respectively until well after the period these were supposed to have been created. I smell [partial] bullshit!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The one in Dorking is well used as a cycle path already, being within half mile of the start of the zig zag climb up Box Hill.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shaftsbury Ave in Timperly - @potsy will know it better than me but I think it's a residential street running directly parallel to the main road, and is usable if you want to.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Difficult to believe this was any sort of cycle "network" given the disparate nature and lack of any sort of linking between the routes. Still the one nearest me is still useful - as a place for bus passengers to queue.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This reminds me - I must read this, which I was given for Christmas:

6a00d8341bfb1653ef0168e6fa5382970c-pi.jpg

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The Keynsham Bypass near me is on the map. Good Lord! - no room for cycling at all!. I wouldn't cycle on this if you paid me - horrible fast stretch of dual carriageway that many motorists use for attempts on the world land speed record. Funny, don't recall seeing any cycle lanes near it. Nearest one is the old faithful Bristol Railway Path.

Top Bottom