'Lost' cycle ways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Then it's no longer a road it's a pedestrian area.
So before motor traffic and bicycles, were there no roads?
Early doors there were no roads; there were 'ways'. A way was a route where riders (on horses) 'rode' and might be known (by C17) as roadways, truncated into roads (?C18). But these were routes which could be ridden on horseback. So routes/ways whether for going, narrowness or a legal reason (unlikely), could not be ridden (in modern parlance footpaths or 'pedestrian areas') were not 'Roads'. So @byegad 's line of argument has a modicum of merit. HTH (and illuminates if not answers @mjr 's question).

byegad

Legendary Member
Early doors there were no roads; there were 'ways'. A way was a route where riders (on horses) 'rode' and might be known (by C17) as roadways, truncated into roads (?C18). But these were routes which could be ridden on horseback. So routes/ways whether for going, narrowness or a legal reason (unlikely), could not be ridden (in modern parlance footpaths or 'pedestrian areas') were not 'Roads'. So @byegad 's line of argument has a modicum of merit. HTH (and illuminates if not answers @mjr 's question).
I suspect this has been long repealed by common usage.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is that Durham Road, just passed where the Prospect Pub (now a Lidl/Aldi) was, if travelling away from Sunderland?

It is.

There's a similar width stretch on the other side of the road as well.

The bit on the westbound side carries on past what used to be Sunderland West/Farringdon Hall police station, and then over the crest where it conks out as the road levels.

Little used, not least because there's a cycle path to the south which runs parallel and involves a lot less cimbing if you are leaving Sunderland in the direction of Durham City.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It is.

There's a similar width stretch on the other side of the road as well.

The bit on the westbound side carries on past what used to be Sunderland West/Farringdon Hall police station, and then over the crest where it conks out as the road levels.

Little used, not least because there's a cycle path to the south which runs parallel and involves a lot less cimbing if you are leaving Sunderland in the direction of Durham City.

Not on one of my "Cycling Routes", but, I have passed there in car many times, en-route to visit one of more of three daughters who live reasonably near there, and have never noticed it.

Looking at the GoogleMap, in the link, I see there is a bit of history even nearer to me, alongside A184 at East Boldon, I can claim to have ridden than, although again, there is a better cycle route within a short distance, if you know where to look for it.

Top Bottom