Let's revive the old debate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
What is the best way to clean your chain? Personally, I used to do it with petrol but apparently it can be harmful to the cassette and bearings so I now use white spirit.
It leaves the chain absolutely spotless and does a good job of the cassette too, with a brush.
I have tried a chain cleaner but was not so happy with the results.
Of course, I always re lube the chain afterwards, link by link.

I frequently clean the chain using just baby wipes whilst it is still on the bike(s). Every month, or so, the chain comes off and goes into the ultrasonic cleaner with IPA. It then gets a quick dip in a water bath and hung up to drip dry before being re-lubed.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I frequently clean the chain using just baby wipes whilst it is still on the bike(s). Every month, or so, the chain comes off and goes into the ultrasonic cleaner with IPA. It then gets a quick dip in a water bath and hung up to drip dry before being re-lubed.

Not going to get involved in the 'best method' debate, but just have to ask.....
Why the water dip/rinse after IPA?

IPA will have removed all the oils, dirt and rust protection from inside and out, then you dip it in water! I would have thought that was the last thing it needs when in such a vulnerable condition?

Not going to get involved in the 'best method' debate, but just have to ask.....
Why the water dip/rinse after IPA?

IPA will have removed all the oils, dirt and rust protection from inside and out, then you dip it in water! I would have thought that was the last thing it needs when in such a vulnerable condition?

To get displace the IPA before reapplying lube.

Any residual IPA can be difficult to displace with lube but any residual water is easy to displace.

Is there a scientific argument to corroborate this statement?

None, other that it is based upon the method used a sterile services department in their handling of some ventilator components which need reprocessing between patients.

Last edited:
Top Bottom