Let's revive the old debate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Surely IPA is for drinking, not wasting on a dirty chain:cheers:
I prefer white spirit for that job.

I thought I was the only one going with India Pale Ale.... :laugh:

Sallar55

Veteran
I clean the chain when the chain checker tells me to bin the chain . It's dry or wet lube depending upon the weather, life is too short and chains don't last long if its hilly.

PXL_20221203_101330776.jpg

CharleyFarley

I clean the chain every hundred miles. First I wipe the chain with a rag by turning the pedals backward while holding the rag around it. Then follow up with a Park Tool chain cleaning device with a citrus cleaner in it. Then drench the chain in Rock 'N' Roll lube (the red one). Let it sit for a while then wipe it clean with a rag. Rock 'N' Roll says to wipe it clean after lubing. The lube is a cleaner in itself.

There's no way I'm taking the chain off to clean it, but a guy on another forum a few years ago told me I'm doing it all wrong, and the Park chain cleaner is worthless. That was just his opinion. Then he bragged about taking the chain to a bike shop for cleaning. When he got it back he wasn't satisfied, and cleaned it again, himself. He gave me the idea that he was OCD.

Anyway, I get good mileage from my chains so I'm not going to change to someone else's system. Incidentally, I don't ride in wet, mucky conditions.

Reactions: C R

mustang1

Guru
For me, "best" doesn't mean 'the cleanest" but "as clean as possible under life conditions."

I clean the chain when there is a build-up of dirt, and I have time, and also when I can be bothered. This involves using a parktool chain cleaning tool, degreaser, then re-lube. When I was commuting, that was once every 3 weeks in summer, or weekly in winter. But I do not commute currently so perhaps once every month.

If the bike needs more cleaning then it goes to my wonderful bike mechanic friends who look after it for me, usually once every 6 months.

But then again, I don't ride the road bike in wet weather much anymore and instead opt for the MTB during rainy days (if I get out at all).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Surely IPA is for drinking, not wasting on a dirty chain:cheers:
I prefer white spirit for that job.

White spirit with fish isn't it? Or is it meths, hard to remember all this etiquette....

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I knew there was something bugging me about this so I googled it as I'm sure I've been told never to use IPA in a sonic bath and here is one of the google hits - https://best-ultrasonic-cleaner.blo...opropyl-alcohol-ipa-in-an-ultrasonic-cleaner/

***WARNING FOLKS - DO NOT USE IPA IN AN UNTRASONIC CLEANER BATH*** You have been warned :okay:

I frequently use IPA and other solvents in the lab to clean things- the baths are filled with water and the stuff to be cleaned is placed in a closed container or sealed bag of solvent clamped in place and partially immersed in the tank. All the baths are in extraction hoods- although with sealed vessels the extraction is really only needed when transferring the solvent into the vessel or waste container.

(I have used it to clean chains in the past but wiping the chain with a rag and relubing is quicker and I can get it done in a few minutes)

As it is not involved in any precision engineering operation, I will wipe it to remove any crud and lube it well. Once in a while, usually a year I will use a degreaser, wash it down and then lube it thoroughly while spinning to ensure every little gap is covered.

Top Bottom