Let's revive the old debate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
To get displace the IPA before reapplying lube.

Any residual IPA can be difficult to displace with lube but any residual water is easy to displace.
You do realise that IPA is a very pure solvent that evaporates quickly/easily and is non harmful to metals, while water(tap?) is certainly not pure and at room temperature is much less willing to dry quickly, especially from semi-enclosed areas like the inside of a chain's links. It will also encourage corrosion of many metals. While not being entirely certain of the science to back this up, I suspect you have it the wrong way around?

Is there a scientific argument to corroborate this statement?
None, other that it is based upon the method used a sterile services department in their handling of some ventilator components which need reprocessing between patients.
I suspect the reason for the water rinse is to remove any IPA residues so patients are not poisoned by swallowing/inhaling any trapped pools of IPA rather than IPA being more difficult to remove than water. While you can drink IPA and get drunk (in very small amounts) it is incredibly bad for you in a toxic/can kill you kind of way so much better (although still not ideal) that a patient accidentally gets a mouthful of water than IPA. At work we wipe out the inside of machines with water during servicing then finally with IPA as it displaces the water from the surfaces and allows the chambers to pump out to a low vacuum state much quicker because the water is a pain in a vacuum.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Every month, or so, the chain comes off and goes into the ultrasonic cleaner with IPA. It then gets a quick dip in a water bath and hung up to drip dry before being re-lubed.

I knew there was something bugging me about this so I googled it as I'm sure I've been told never to use IPA in a sonic bath and here is one of the google hits - https://best-ultrasonic-cleaner.blo...opropyl-alcohol-ipa-in-an-ultrasonic-cleaner/

***WARNING FOLKS - DO NOT USE IPA IN AN UNTRASONIC CLEANER BATH*** You have been warned :okay:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I frequently clean the chain using just baby wipes whilst it is still on the bike(s). Every month, or so, the chain comes off and goes into the ultrasonic cleaner with IPA. It then gets a quick dip in a water bath and hung up to drip dry before being re-lubed.

IPA is a polar solvent so not best for removing non-polar grease.

You do realise that IPA is a very pure solvent that evaporates quickly/easily and is non harmful to metals, while water(tap?) is certainly not pure and at room temperature is much less willing to dry quickly, especially from semi-enclosed areas like the inside of a chain's links. It will also encourage corrosion of many metals. While not being entirely certain of the science to back this up, I suspect you have it the wrong way around?

I have been using the method for around 30 years without issues. Once, a couple of years ago, I was hurried for time and missed the water rinse (and no, I don’t use tap water). The usual lube didn’t take to the chain as it normally did so I repeated my process the following day when I had more time.

It works for me and that is my aim.

PS The ventilator cleaning is nothing to do with patients potentially inhaling IPA. The steps in the whole process ensures there is zero risk of the patient inhaling anything whether that be IPA or water from the rinse process.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is that the stuff left in the grill pan after you've cooked your burgers from Iceland? :whistle:

Indeed, It's worth it's weight in gold I can tell you....

Gwylan

Veteran
More sensible, one of those rubbish chain washers with dilute de greaser.
Then dry with kitchen towel or whatever.

Then dry lube.

But my bike has a belt. Wonderful progress.

Top Bottom