Let's See Your Folding Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Further progress on my Brompton
and a painful lesson

12/2/22

The car is due for attention (again) so I take it across town to our usual garage. Fold the Brompton and put it in the boot. No issues, looking forward to testing the recently fitted low gearing set up of 44T chainring, 14T sprocket, BSR 3 speed, on the way home. Drop off car. Unload bike. Extend seat post, unfold handlebar, get the clamp in place and tighten it. Unfold frame, a swift flick and click of the rear triangle and wheel it out on to the pavement. Adjust the seatpost, brakes on, a quick pull and push on the bars to check that everything is tight, and get on and pedal. Getting the hang of folding and unfolding it in a reasonable time without making a prat of myself, I think to myself in a cloud of hubris.

Just covered a yard or two on the pavement, riding slowly, waiting for a white van to get past so I can get across the road when unexpectedly I find myself falling and hit the pavement, hard. It would be nice to be able to say that some witty phrase escaped my lips but apart from “gaargh!” then “Oww!” and then “OWW! I am a disappointment to the literary minded amongst you. As I spring up, shocked, the van driver stops, gets out and asks if I’m all right, mate. I tell him yes, though I’m aware of pain in my knees, and superficial pain on my inner right ankle and left shin, and generally feeling as if I’ve just had a good kicking. I idly think that The Helmet Lecture might follow, but I think he is as shocked as I am. A bicycle isn’t a comfortable thing to land on. Still, if anyone asks do 69 year olds bounce, the answer is, apparently, yes. I wonder if he has a dash cam which will make me notorious as the folding bike man on Youtube or similar. One second, a man riding on nothing, the next, inspecting the tarmac at close range.

I look at the bike. The frame hinge is tight, but the handlebar has folded while riding. I had tightened the handlebar clamp, and the top edge in the rather dim garage light looked flush. It seems that it is possible to tighten this hinge clamp when only one side is fully engaged and the other is just holding on with friction. Then a slight load on it causes it to let go.

The frame hinge clamp is easy to check as you look at it edge on and can see if it’s lined up. Looks like you need to lean down and turn the bars to confirm that the handlebar hinge clamp is properly engaged as it can be tight but not properly locked. I loosen up the handlebar clamp, carefully unfold the handlebar and make sure it is fully engaged before tightening. My confidence in the system has been shaken. The other folder I own has a similar handlebar clamp, though it does have a spring, and I’ve not come across this problem before in hundreds of foldings/unfoldings. I often wondered what would happen if something folded while in motion and now I know, I’m not in a hurry to revisit the experience. Perhaps I need to unclip the bag when unfolding to give a clearer view of the clamp in future. Something to double double check during future use.

I cross the road and walk with it for a short distance. The bike seems undamaged apart from a scuffed bar end. I am wary of mounting it now. I get on and gingerly ride off. My knees complain but as I ride further the discomfort diminishes.

I follow a level route travelling carefully along a segregated roadside cycle path slowly regaining my confidence. The gearing is more manageable than it was, and I’m able to use high gear easily rolling downwind, still keeping my speed down. Soon I come to a steep downhill leading to the river. I’m definitely feeling apprehensive now, and brake far more than I normally do.

I cross a dual carriageway, then the river, and start to climb. I manage the steepest leg of my journey without any fuss, then as the gradient eases I’m in middle gear. A level stretch for 1/3 of a mile then a long gradual climb. Middle gear is slightly too high, so I slow down and settle for low. Even so, I’m puffing by the time I reach the top, perhaps a combination of not enough cycling this year and the delayed effects of hitting the deck earlier.

A level stretch, left at some lights, downhill then up and down a bit to my back gate.

As I manoevre the bike into the garage I notice that the plastic horizontal part of the bag frame has a crack in it. Maybe I can repair it, or if the bits are available, rivet another one on. It’s a shame, as this bag frame has a useful handle at the top. Still, it will work for now with light loads. Taking the bag off the frame later reveals that one side of the frame is bent back where it probably absorbed most of the impact on hitting the ground. New (or pre owned) bag frame time it seems.

I check myself over once I get indoors. I don’t mention my recent downfall as Mrs T will only fuss unnecessarily. Surprised to see both knees have skin damage, as I expected only bruising. Still, the blood hasn’t leaked through my trousers before coagulating. Plaster applied to small gouge on inside of right ankle, probably chainwheel related. Scratch to left shin. Hands are OK, as I had gloves on. I’ve got off lightly.

Later, I set off to collect the car. My knees have stiffened up in the meantime but once I get rolling they loosen up. The gearing feels friendly in my slightly detuned condition. Still expecting something to give way any minute, and call me Captain Apprehensive. but the long downhill is not the carefree plummeting it was last time I came this way. Downhill again, across the river, across a dual carriageway and up a steepish cycleway remaining seated. More relaxed now, I enjoy the final undulating stretch, pick up the car then head home.

Object of the exercise: direct comparison of current low gear set up with previous set up over the same route. Result: success on a plate (or chainring). It will do the job.

shingwell

Oh dear, at least nothing too badly broken, on either you or the bike. Better a broken bag frame than a broken human frame or bike frame!

Reading your first paragraph I was thinking "I bet he's forgotten to unfold the folding pedal" because I do that embarrassingly frequently. But it doesn't usually result in an "ungainly dismount".

But I did once set off without doing up the main hinge, with a similar outcome.

I have "liked" your post because I like the writeup, not what occured!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Thank you for your kind words. Funnily enough, I tend not to fold the pedal unless I'm putting it into a tight space. It did puzzle me that Brompton only expect you to fold one pedal as if you have two, you're less likely to forget to unfold them. I expect I have the treat of setting off after forgetting to unfold it waiting for me somewhere down the line.

Schwinnsta

Further progress on my Brompton
and a painful lesson

12/2/22

I look at the bike. The frame hinge is tight, but the handlebar has folded while riding. I had tightened the handlebar clamp, and the top edge in the rather dim garage light looked flush. It seems that it is possible to tighten this hinge clamp when only one side is fully engaged and the other is just holding on with friction. Then a slight load on it causes it to let go.

The frame hinge clamp is easy to check as you look at it edge on and can see if it’s lined up. Looks like you need to lean down and turn the bars to confirm that the handlebar hinge clamp is properly engaged as it can be tight but not properly locked. I loosen up the handlebar clamp, carefully unfold the handlebar and make sure it is fully engaged before tightening. My confidence in the system has been shaken.

I really could not understand this. The clamp is visible (both of them). It would have been nice to see a picture of it as you saw it. I don't see how one side could be on ok and tight but not the other.

Glad you're OK.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I find it hard to understand too. That is my rationalisation of this incident, from above it all looked in place and the stem was at the expected angle, and the clamp screw was tight. It passed the brake and shake test. I would have thought the design was idiot proof but it seems that evolution has produced a better idiot.
Nevertheless, I will be doubly careful to make sure the two parts of the frame are fully enclosed by the two sides of the clamp in future before setting off. Normally when the clamps are done up the frame feels quite solid, no movement in any them to suggest wear.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I’ve managed to replicate the conditions that I think caused the stem to fold inappropriately. It is not as difficult to do as I thought, and can appear to be OK when only seen from above.

However, when seen from the side it’s obvious that a) the stem is not flush with the base, and b) that the upper part of the clamp is located on the top surface (even though it’s not completely located against the shoulder) and the lower part is hard up against the vertical edge of the lower part of the joint rather than in place underneath it. The tightening screw is tight, and the stem stays in place when pulled and pushed with the handlebars but if the pulling and pushing continues, it overcomes the friction and folds. The situation is blindingly obvious when photographed in a good light from the side. Below -incorrectly clamped, from above. Note screw handle is horizontal.

Below- From the side. Note horizontal handle.It's tight despite being incorrectly secured

Below- Correctly clamped. Note handle is vertical.

Below- From above, correctly clamped, vertical handle, otherwise hard to tell the difference from the first picture.

Incidents don’t occur in isolation. Contributing factors: things going on around me causing distraction, frame bag overshadowing the stem hinge, poor lighting. No history of problems with the fold, leading to over confidence and failure to double check. When all these factors align we have an incident. The existence of Sod’s Law aka Murphy’s Law is plentiful proof that unplanned things can happen.

Having replicated the conditions, I feel reassured now that it wasn't just a random event but something that I can prevent in the future now that I have found a logical cause. It has been troubling since it's over ten years since I last fell off a bike in a meaningful way, and I knew at the time why that happened.

Schwinnsta

When the clamps are tight there should be a little bit of space between the tips and inside of the clamps. Not saying it had anything to do with it but just something I noticed in your pics on my cellphone.

shingwell

I looked at mine (2012) this morning, and it is quite difficult for me to tighten in your intermediate position. As I tighten the clamp, the bottom lip of the clamp always slides off the bottom part of the hinge, either below it (correct clamping) or above it (no clamping whatsoever). The shape of the edge of the clamp and/or bottom part of the hinge must be different (flatter on yours) - any sign of wear?

Also the handle on mine when tight *is* (almost) horizontal, so I guess all clamps are different!

An easy thing to try might be to swap the main and handlebar clamps, just to see if there is any difference that might indicate that it is worth replacing the clamp. (I assume they are interchangable but I haven't actually tried). Also possible someone in the past might have replaced the clamp with an inferior non-B part?

a.twiddler

Veteran
I wouldn't have thought that the clamp would stay put unless it was correctly positioned, but it seems that at least on mine, it can. It's a late 2012, the two halves don't have any peculiar wear patterns. Maybe it's down to different tolerances on the non machined faces of the hinge- some might be slightly rounder than others, allowing the clamp to slide more easily into place. Not a problem if you positively locate the clamp in the first place before tightening. I'm not keen to take a file to it! Since normally it works fine, I'm not going to mess about with it.

As for @Schwinnsta's suggestion re a slight gap between the frame and the clamp, it might not be clear in the pictures, but to the naked eye, it's there, on the frame clamp and the handlebar clamp, whatever its significance might be.

I don't know what the previous owner might have done to it in the last 10 years but the frame and handlebar clamps look the same. Maybe neither, or both, are original. Brompton like to put their name on various bits of their bikes, but these bits are anonymous. Judging by the minor bits I've had to fit since I bought it, I doubt that he was an enthusiast. I would guess that the clamps are original.

I think that the position the clamp screw handles finish up in when tight might have more to do with the orientation of the threading that the clamp screws locate into. It might be random, or it might be designed to let the handle be in a specified position when tight, but as wear of the clamp occurs, it would slowly change. The position of the handle can be another cue to let you know if something is not quite right, but does anyone actually remember the position of their clamp handles other than to be sure that they feel tight enough?

It's easy to over think all this but one useful addition would be a light spring to hold the clamp against the frame or stem mating pieces so that tightening or loosening could be a one handed process -just pull the clamp back with the fingers to let it fold or unfold.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I find it hard to understand too. That is my rationalisation of this incident, from above it all looked in place and the stem was at the expected angle, and the clamp screw was tight. It passed the brake and shake test. I would have thought the design was idiot proof but it seems that evolution has produced a better idiot.
Nevertheless, I will be doubly careful to make sure the two parts of the frame are fully enclosed by the two sides of the clamp in future before setting off. Normally when the clamps are done up the frame feels quite solid, no movement in any them to suggest wear.
If its any consolation I did it once, I was chatting to someone as I unfolded the bike, said goodbye, pushed off and somersaulted over the collapsing handlebar! I sort of judo rolled to break my fall and was completely unscathed, although the person I was chatting to was quite shocked!!

I think its one of those things you only do once!!! I now always double check its properly engaged as I tighten.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Perhaps it's one of the unacknowledged rites of passage into Brompton ownership. I don't think you can kid anyone that "I meant to do that" but it sounds like your arrival on the tarmac was a bit more elegant than mine. I think my performance was from the sack of spuds school of falling-off. Definitely something that you will only do once.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Perhaps it's one of the unacknowledged rites of passage into Brompton ownership.
That's the problem. It happens to everyone but you are not allowed to talk about it. :becool:As you DID talk about it you have to do it again. :ohmy:And not talk about it. And then do it a third time to make good for talking about it in the first place. ^_^

a.twiddler

Veteran
Oh dear. The mishap that dare not speak its name. After misguidedly sharing my experience it seems I must be doomed (Doomed, Doomed, Doooomed, I tells ya!) to be cast into outer darkness, to be forever shunned by Bromptonistas everywhere. In mitigation, I would hope that those who are still in the closet after their Brompton unexpectedly spat them off will gain some comfort from my experience at the hands of that harsh mistress whose name is Gravity, and my attempts to explain the cause (at least to myself).

Of course, if I fall off again, and say nothing, then fall off yet again, remaining tight lipped, how will anyone else know? How does anyone gain redemption? It's a conundrum, is what it is. At the end of the day, I will know, and maybe that's all that matters

Top Bottom