Let's talk fishing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Exactly,

I'm a fly fisherman, but I do coarse fish sometimes.

I'll use fibre glass rods, Mitchell reels etc, just for the fun of it when coarse fishing, together with a float or simple running ledger, just like in the old days..

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
You don't have to follow the latest methods. All the old ones still work. I caught my biggest carp (24 lbs) on floating bread about 5 feet from the bank.
Yes but no but you'd deffo have caught a 46lber if you'd cast into an adjacent county with 3 rods. Tsk.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As an aside to my post about the Nelly and Leslie "smack" . At about the same time (60years approx. ago) l lived just outside Boston Lincs. and my mates and l spent almost all of our time out on the marshes and mudflats around the Wash.
One form of "fishing" we used to pursue was what we called "Butt stanging" . This required you to wade through the water at low tide with an implement like a rake except the "tines" pointed forward not at 90degess to the handle. You had to go barefoot so that you could feel the flatfish , Butts as we called them. The fish would lift off from the mud shoot forward a bit then settle down again , giving you the chance to stab it with your "Butt stang" . For reasons best known to ourselves we usually carried out this ritual in the early and late part of the year , just before the duck shooting season . Boy was it cold.
l would be interested if anyone else has heard of or even tried this method of "fishing" !
Never been anywhere to try it myself but it seems to be used around the Solway coast where I think they have or had competitions to see who got the most.

AndyRM

XOXO
I misread the thread title quite dramatically...

I've done a bit of sea fishing over the years, but nothing serious. I got massively into televised fishing for a while, when it was on in the middle of the night/early morning and I was up with my then baby daughter.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Haven't been for years but I used to be pretty good at catching barbel, chub amd the odd grayling in the Kennet. Got the club prize for biggest barbel one year - 7lb 11oz 12dr. They come a lot bigger these days, ever since someone unknown released a few into the Severn. Bigger rivers make bigger fish.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Over 40 years since I fished - back in the day the essentials were Mk IV rod, Mitchell reel, hessian sacks, boiled potatoes for bait, camouflage,"coffee" out of a Thermos flask and high powered binoculars to spy on what bait your rival was using.

There was also an encased thermometer which was cast into the water where you were fishing to test for "thermoclines" as per the Richard Walker scriptures.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I haven't been fishing for over 20 years. Now, my son is asking about going. I had a quick look on a fishing tackle website and feel safe in saying that fishing is far more expensive than cycling. And that's saying something :ohmy: That's not including rod licences, permits, etc. either.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been boat fishing in Cornwall for mackerel and bass since I was seven, mainly without success. I love it.

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
I haven't been fishing for over 20 years. Now, my son is asking about going. I had a quick look on a fishing tackle website and feel safe in saying that fishing is far more expensive than cycling. And that's saying something :ohmy: That's not including rod licences, permits, etc. either.

As you say like cycling, it can be as expensive, or if you are frugal it can be done quite cheaply. Depends upon what branch of fishing your son is thinking of.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
As you say like cycling, it can be as expensive, or if you are frugal it can be done quite cheaply. Depends upon what branch of fishing your son is thinking of.
Float. I suppose it wouldn’t be too expensive to get started as I have all my fishing gear somewhere, but then it hasn’t been touched in 20 years so there will be a few items to replace as well as buying the usual consumables.

I suppose the only issue is that I’m not good sitting still and may become bored after a short while. I also wonder if I can remember how to tie a hook onto the line... :laugh:

steven1988

Veteran
Float. I suppose it wouldn’t be too expensive to get started as I have all my fishing gear somewhere, but then it hasn’t been touched in 20 years so there will be a few items to replace as well as buying the usual consumables.

I suppose the only issue is that I’m not good sitting still and may become bored after a short while. I also wonder if I can remember how to tie a hook onto the line... :laugh:

Let me know if you do go, T has been bugging me for ages to take him

clid61

Veteran
I'll be moving soon to whitehaven area , any recommendations on sea fishing spots in the area (yes I know Sellafield is nearby :smile: ) Not looking to catch 3 eyed fish like in Springfield !

Top Bottom