Let's talk fishing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I used to go sea fishing with my Dad off Hope's Nose in Torbay. We just used feathers then, but still caught a few mackerell and some Garfish. We tried a float one time and got a really nice looking Wrasse. I would only fish again if I was going to eat the catch

carpiste

Guru
I used to go sea fishing with my Dad off Hope's Nose in Torbay. We just used feathers then, but still caught a few mackerell and some Garfish. We tried a float one time and got a really nice looking Wrasse. I would only fish again if I was going to eat the catch
Sea fishing isn`t so easy nowadays but if you like to eat what you catch you could always try a trout fishery ^_^ I haven`t been in a while but I do like to send a fly out for a trout and I love to bake one too ^_^

carpiste

Guru
why not? Fewer fish? I thought you could still throw in a line with 6 feathers on and at least reel in one or two an hour? Mind you I'm talking about 25 years ago. Lots might have changed
Most definitely fewer fish due to overfishing the past 30 years or so. Yes, you can still be lucky and have the odd great day but invariably it`s a struggle. Even for the small trawlers!

delb0y

Legendary Member
Had an hour on the canal this evening with lures. Nothing. Not even a follow. As always, I suspect I'm doing it wrong. Might go to a club lake tomorrow and try for some roach.

carpiste

Guru
Had an hour on the canal this evening with lures. Nothing. Not even a follow. As always, I suspect I'm doing it wrong. Might go to a club lake tomorrow and try for some roach.
If you are struggling the best thing to do is have a chat with other anglers at the venue you`re on. Alternatively there are lots of good vids on youtube you can look at. As an angler, who has fished all over the place, I never hesitate to try to get info from locals 🎣;)

Drago

Legendary Member
How much do you fishists tend to spend on your sticks, string and those little boxes that look likemp porta potties? Im guessing a good few quid in many cases?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
How much do you fishists tend to spend on your sticks, string and those little boxes that look likemp porta potties? Im guessing a good few quid in many cases?

Three shillings and six pence

carpiste

Guru
I`ve never added it all up but if you consider I pay around £150 on average per rod and around £80 per reel and I have, I think, mid 30`s of each! There are also all the bed chairs, bivvies, nets, trolleys, boxes, floats, hooks, lines and sinkers! It runs into many thousands over the years!
Club memberships, syndicate memberships and also fuel costs and wear and tear! I probably spent as much as a serious cyclist ;)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I was thinking about my 'go-to' 8-weight outfit. Rod is end of line stock at just over a hundred (Retailer and company fell out so they sold them all off at cost). Reel a bit more costly, because that's actually quite important if you're hooking something that wants to swim to Cuba, at £450 iirc. Fly line 50-60. Make my own flies, add a spool of fluorocarbon and some leaders at 25 or so and you're fishing. Also need good sunglasses 1-200 quids, plus good UPF resistant clothing and some boots and you're good to go.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It seems that freshwater fishing is more expensive. When I first started in the sea, we bought a rod for £35, a reel was about £25c, line was a few quid and same for feathers/spinners. My dad used old spark plugs as weights :becool:

delb0y

Legendary Member
As with my cycling and my guitar playing I tend towards the cheap end of things, and I keep those things a long time. I also travel light - so don't have loads of stuff. The rod I used today cost me £20 second hand from a local tackle shop about twenty years ago...

Today was a glorious day - fishing a beautiful estate lake and catching some cracking carp, plus some decent perch and bream. My shoulders actually ache from playing fish. Never had that before.

Top Bottom