LGV E-Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
"The measures should create a two-part Safety Standard that is an addition to the LGV license. The safety standard would commit to Best Practice in both driver training and in vehicle specification. This would be achieved by: A) implementing additional driver safety awareness training; and :evil: recognising that vehicle specification must include suitability of the LGV for the city centre. The combination of both an LGV Safety Certified driver and vehicle, would grant an implicit permit that allows access to city centres during peak hours. Any vehicles or drivers lacking certification would not be permitted access to city centres during peak hours. These measures can be rooted in bigger government strategies - combating obesity, congestion, global warming - while supporting and encourage cycling. Eight people have died, directly as a result of collisions with LGVs, on London streets so far this year. The petition aims to make clear that "share the road" has failed to address the fundamental issue that sharing is not possible when the LGV drivers do not always see the cyclist. Implementing these measures could make the UK one of the most cycle friendly cities in the world."

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/LGV-Cycle-Safety/

PpPete

Legendary Member
How many have signed up for this ????
No. 10 have probably got more serious worries on their mind at present. But at least it's an avenue we can all use to make our views known.

Let's see ... in order to get an LGV C+E licence, starting from scratch, one must:

pass a medical
pass a theory test
pass a hazard perception test
take lessons and pass an LGV C test
take lessons and pass an LGV C+E test
pass a driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence)

before being allowed on the road. When I did my LGV tests, all I had to do was steps 1, 2, 4 and 5, and I only just missed out on doing only steps 1 and 5. I can't help feeling (particularly since the introduction of the driver CPC, which seems to me to cover what this petition is asking for) that there are already quite enough hoops to jump through.

AlanW

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
I can't help[ feeling (particularly since the introduction of the driver CPC, which seems to me to cover what this petition is asking for) that there are already quite enough hoops to jump through.

Agreed, but sadly with the introduction of the driver CPC I shall not bother to renew mine. :sad:

Had my class one 28 years now, passed just after my 21st birthday and it has done me good when extra money was required, and also very useful in the times I have been made redundant.

But I will have to pay for the CPC myself and I don't really see me wanting to drive any more LGVs in a few years time. :sad:

Plus, I did some temping for Eddie Stobarts last year and I didn't really enjoy it any more, to much hassle and traffic hold ups, let alone the pressure to delivery within stupid time scales!

Top Bottom