Lidl checkout display reversed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a 'WTF' moment at Lidl in Todmorden this afternoon ...

A woman a few places ahead of me paid by card and was mumbling something to the man operating the checkout. The next couple of customers paid cash. I went to pay by card and saw what the woman had been complaining about - the display on the card terminal was reversed. Not only was the text right to left instead of left to right, but the characters were all reversed too!

It would be a pretty odd software (or hardware) bug to cause that to happen. It crossed my mind that their system might have been hacked ... I can't find any reports of this problem in the news, so maybe it WAS just some weird glitch.

Have any of you ever seen that happen before?

(I have seen 'pranking' software do that to PC displays but never seen it on commercial displays.)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And you still paid?I

I think I would have been asking to move to another till.....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My first mobile phone, a Nokia 3410, started showing an upside down display before it Cheyne-Stokesed and died.
nokia 3410.png

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

A woman a few places ahead of me paid by card and was mumbling something to the man operating the checkout. The next couple of customers paid cash. I went to pay by card and saw what the woman had been complaining about - the display on the card terminal was reversed. Not only was the text right to left instead of left to right, but the characters were all reversed too!

It would be a pretty odd software (or hardware) bug to cause that to happen. It crossed my mind that their system might have been hacked ... I can't find any reports of this problem in the news, so maybe it WAS just some weird glitch.

(I have seen 'pranking' software do that to PC displays but never seen it on commercial displays.)
What was the till assistant's response to the complaints?

classic33

Leg End Member

There's the problem.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
He called to the young woman at the adjacent checkout and she came over to take a look. She told him that her checkout's display was not doing it and she had never seen it happen before.

He looked a bit bewildered, but then carried on scanning items ...
Should have called the manager maybe...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

There are bank/software glitches in supermarkets every week, but they just don't make it onto the news.

A large supermarket attempted to upgrade it's creaking stone age software (which is wide open to abuse) three years ago. When it was trialled in some smaller stores there was an endless list of bugs and crashes, some of which were like this - but it affected all tills or all tills on a particular circuit. Three years later the upgrade still hasn't happened in a lot of places scheduled for later this year ...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe, just maybe, the transaction also took place in reverse and they paid the money into your account instead of withdrawing it?
Dream on! :laugh:

Should have called the manager maybe...
I would have done!

I'm not actually sure how the Lidl hierarchy works. I have noticed that some staff seem more senior than others, but they still all do all of the jobs. It is unlikely that there is NO manager but I have never noticed anyone with a manager's badge on.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Dream on! :laugh:

I would have done!

I'm not actually sure how the Lidl hierarchy works. I have noticed that some staff seem more senior than others, but they still all do all of the jobs. It is unlikely that there is NO manager but I have never noticed anyone with a manager's badge on.
In the Lidls I have been in they always seem to be woefully understaffed

Top Bottom