lidl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I found the Wittkop saddle I bought last year from Lidl very uncomfy on longer rides 50+ miles, so I gave it away, but it was worth a try at that low price.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A colleague got the lights last time around - surprisingly good. I think I might get a set for the commuter.
My commuter has dynamo lights, but I got a set for the road bike and the main drawbacks are that the mounts are proprietary (as far as I can tell) and the front light battery is non-replaceable (I suspect the light will last longer than the battery, so that's annoying built-in obsolescence). On the plus side, they've got battery indicators, the front runtime of 2.5h@40lux / 5h@20lux / 10h@10lux is OK and the rear light mounts nicely on a seat stay (adjustable angle).

I found the Wittkop saddle I bought last year from Lidl very uncomfy on longer rides 50+ miles, so I gave it away, but it was worth a try at that low price.
Usually there are two or three shapes/widths of saddle in these offers - typically racing, trekking and comfort, with the wider one or two being sprung or damped. Sometimes they're end-of-line major brand ones, but not this time. They'll probably suit some people and not others.

mjr

Every time I have bought a bike light , it's had a slightly (or vastly) different mount. I thought they were all proprietary, Is there a universal standard for bike light mounts now?
I probably should have added "and not available separately" or something! Basically, if the mount breaks (and the rear light clip is quite hard to release), the light's probably useless. I have had other bike lights from minor brands which were compatible with Cateye light clip-on mounts which are sold separately - there are at least two front designs current with names like H-51 and H-53.

Lights bolted on the fork crown, front fork, rear rack or mudguard tend to be fairly interchangeable (there's basically only the width and orientation of the fixing onto the light to worry about) but they're not common for battery lights at the moment, probably because people accept cluttering their handlebars and seat posts with lights. ;)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes, I went this morning (my bike computers take 2032s and they are normally about a fiver for two). £1.99 for six, two packs for £3, a really good deal, and they have other sizes as well.

Thanks!
I'll be popping in on my way home..

mjr

OK, thanks, I've never seen them that cheap. But "Huh?" do you have some evidence that German-made Lidl batteries leak? Or do you just prefer a known brand name, which isn't always the safe option <cough>GalaxyNote7<cough>.
I don't remember if I've had the current Lidl brand "Tronic" leak. I'm pretty sure they used to have a different brand. Was it PowerPlus or was that one of Aldi's? I gave up after two (different packs, some time apart) went hissing.

Top Bottom