Life before allen keys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I was hunting through my box of stuff and found these. Goodness knows when I last used them, but I'll keep them, "just in case".........

Tools.jpg

I can still remember (with a shudder) the weight of the toolkit I carried when I first started touring. It was of the "kitchen sink" variety.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The funny lollypop ones usually snap. The other was standard issue Raleigh tool !

D

Deleted member 1258

I was hunting through my box of stuff and found these. Goodness knows when I last used them, but I'll keep them, "just in case".........

View attachment 508664

I can still remember (with a shudder) the weight of the toolkit I carried when I first started touring. It was of the "kitchen sink" variety.

Yes I remember them, I've still got mine somewhere in the shed

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 508664

I remember the big saddle bags we used to use, we carried enough tools to do a full strip and rebuild by the roadside, I also remember people carrying small stoves, kettles and stuff so the could brew up by the roadside, people had the kettles and mugs hanging off the bags on straps, great days.

pawl

Legendary Member

View attachment 508664

Blimey you must be as old as me I have exactly the same in my tool box:ohmy::laugh:

pawl

Legendary Member
I remember the big saddle bags we used to use, we carried enough tools to do a full strip and rebuild by the roadside, I also remember people carrying small stoves, kettles and stuff so the could brew up by the roadside, people had the kettles and mugs hanging off the bags on straps, great days.

Happy days with one proviso.I had the dumbbell spanner in the.pocket of my cycling shorts(remember those shorts)I stalled going up a steep hill.Not able to get my feet out of the toe clips in time.Fell of and landed on the spanner 🔧 Didn’t arf hurt:ohmy:

Gunk

Guru
I still use a ancient flat multi tool style bike spanner for adjusting wheel bearings, nothing else in my tool box will fit behind the lock nut.

D

Deleted member 1258

Happy days with one proviso.I had the dumbbell spanner in the.pocket of my cycling shorts(remember those shorts)I stalled going up a steep hill.Not able to get my feet out of the toe clips in time.Fell of and landed on the spanner 🔧 Didn’t arf hurt:ohmy:

I remember the ancient 10 speed I rode in those days, I had a lot of problems with the headset, quill type, we couldn't persuade it to stay tight and for a while I was doing the club rides with 2 large spanners in my saddle bag as often I'd need to tighten the headset at the afternoon tea stop. The LBS near where I worked managed to get it to stay tight, but a few weeks later I hit a dog and I was back to a headset that wouldn't stay tight, Then I had to have the LBS set it again

Top Bottom