Life changes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madcyclist

Thanks for the comments guys, RedBike I never meant to hijack your thread, just go for it when you've recovered life's to short no to.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Hijacking the thread is fine. I'm always keen to know where / what others are up to. Its good to know that someone else has 'put on their walking shoes' so to speak.

I should have been racing at Mayhem this weekend then touring up to Scotland to race in another 12hr race next weekend. As it is i'm sat on my ass going nowhere and getting more and more frustrated/stressed.

Don't worry, as soon as I can I will be off! The only trouble is now i've got to explain to everyone what i'm up to instead of just waving goodbye and telling them in a few weeks.

Madcyclist

Cheers RedBike, the last few weeks have been torture, more than enough doubts and cold feet moments of my own without them being amplified by the worries of family and friends. I feel it's something I need to do, really looking forward to the experience and hopefully will come back a stronger person emotionally and ready to carry on living not just surviving.

HelenD123

Guru
Madcyclist said:
Cheers RedBike, the last few weeks have been torture, more than enough doubts and cold feet moments of my own without them being amplified by the worries of family and friends. I feel it's something I need to do, really looking forward to the experience and hopefully will come back a stronger person emotionally and ready to carry on living not just surviving.

I know that feeling! The last few weeks before I left were so stressful but once you're on the road you'll forget about it all. Of course none of us can say what will happen when we get back but I don't think you'll regret doing it. Hope you both have great trips.

Madcyclist

HelenD123 said:
I know that feeling! The last few weeks before I left were so stressful but once you're on the road you'll forget about it all. Of course none of us can say what will happen when we get back but I don't think you'll regret doing it. Hope you both have great trips.

Thanks Helen, I've left a message on your blog, looking forward to reading through it tomorrow.

ASC1951

Guru
djb1971 said:
I wish I could pack up and **** off :rofl:
You can. It's just a question of priorities.

Without coming over all philosophical, the secret to a happy life is to make sure that as much of it as possible comes from your own choices. If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, accept it. There is very little that you cannot change, but if the consequences are too severe - abandoning wife and children, for instance - realise that not changing is also a choice and make sure you make the most of what you have chosen.

RedBike, when your ankle is better, take yourself and your bike several thousand miles. Somewhere where basic life is much tougher than here and people have to cooperate to survive. And spend some of your time doing something for someone else - it might seem counter-intuitive, but I've always found that to be the best way to take my mind off my own problems.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

RedBike, when your ankle is better, take yourself and your bike several thousand miles. Somewhere where basic life is much tougher than here and people have to cooperate to survive. And spend some of your time doing something for someone else - it might seem counter-intuitive, but I've always found that to be the best way to take my mind off my own problems.

You must be joking!
I don't need or want more stress.

ASC1951

Guru
No, I'm perfectly serious. Stress, like happiness, is entirely a reaction to events, not an inevitable part of those events. People who get stressed are focussing on the 'me' end of everything. Obviously we all do that to some extent, but if our time is taken up by the mechanics of getting through the day or being involved with other people, there is less time to fret about our own concerns.

If your circumstances make you throw in your job and go off on an extended tour, that is worthwhile but may only be a temporary solution. Life is still going to slap you in the face, like it does all of us, so in the long run it is more effective to control how you react to it.

There again, I'm a Buddhist.

Crankarm

Guru
ASC1951 said:
No, I'm perfectly serious. Stress, like happiness, is entirely a reaction to events, not an inevitable part of those events. People who get stressed are focussing on the 'me' end of everything. Obviously we all do that to some extent, but if our time is taken up by the mechanics of getting through the day or being involved with other people, there is less time to fret about our own concerns.

If your circumstances make you throw in your job and go off on an extended tour, that is worthwhile but may only be a temporary solution. Life is still going to slap you in the face, like it does all of us, so in the long run it is more effective to control how you react to it.

There again, I'm a Buddhist.

A Buddhist with a computer and all the other gadgets to go with it no doubt. I thought Buddhism was about living an ascetic life to attain enlightenment ie divest oneself of material possessions?

QuinnDexter

Mate of mine did the same thing. Quit work, bought a bike (albeit a motorcycle), Sold house and essentially did a grand tour of the world on the bike. Same sort of thing with your cycle. You learn about yourself, what you want out of life and get to see parts of our country that you would never see in a car.

If I wore a hat I would take it off. Good luck and update us on your adventure!!!

ASC1951

Guru
Crankarm said:
A Buddhist with a computer and all the other gadgets to go with it no doubt.
I'm not sure what other gadgets you have in mind, but if it's printer, scanner, speakers, video recorder, CD player, camera, mobile phone, laptop, MP3 player, dishwasher, or pinger - no. I have never bought any new furniture in my life but I will admit to owning a £69.99 telly, a Y reg diesel Astra and more than one bicycle.
I thought Buddhism was about living an ascetic life to attain enlightenment ie divest oneself of material possessions?
Then you are misinformed. :ohmy:

More seriously, it's less about divesting yourself of possessions and more about not pursuing them, or wealth, or status in the first place; because if you do, you become their servant. I suppose the core philosophy is that life is a process of constant change; and unless you teach yourself to accept with equanimity what you cannot alter, and avoid chasing after transient pleasures, you will never be happy.

I don't claim to be an authority on Buddhism, Cranky - this was my route in, following an interest in meditation http://fwbo.org/buddhism.html - but my personal take on it, as an atheist, is that it is by far the most sensible and rewarding guide for getting from cradle to grave.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Update:

My 'tour' is really not going well (slight understatement here).
I haven't gone anywhere and the new bike has been packed back in it's box.

My ankle is taking forever to heal. I was expecting a simple sprain to sort its self out in 2-3days. 2-3 weeks later I'm still unable to ride. I haven't got the flexablity in the joint needed to pedal correctly, so riding very quickly becomes painfull.

I've even (out of desperation) tried riding an electric bike; but found that the electic assist doesn't really help matters much.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

What have you purchased Red?
I thought you got a Galaxy from ebay.

Have you disabled comments on your blog? or having a break from it:biggrin:

Yep, I got a used Galaxy off ebay. I got sick of looking at it in the hallway so it's been re-packed back in the box it was delivered in and is now in the garage. The pannier bags are still packed and sat beside it waiting!

I'm giving the blog a break before I put down what I really think of this whole episode. There are about 50 comments waiting to be published.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Ahhhhh.........
I thought you given up with the blog!

It's no problem storing the bike, it'll still be there when the ankle has fully recovered :tongue:

You might need fatter tyres on it though with not riding the bike for a while :biggrin:

Top Bottom