Life is hell - official

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I like getting my shopping delivered ^_^ petrol used versus delivery charge is about equal and i dont impulse buy sat at home with the computer. I have occasionally suffered from 'trolly rage' when Mr or Mrs 'havin a chat' with their trolly at a right angle blocking the aisle....i did ram someone out the way on one occasion ^_^ Around the festive period [dont want to use the word] if i went to the super market i would always come home with a cold/flue so tend to avoid them 'like the plague'....Here it is nasty viruses,,,,every bodies gettin some..tra la

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Can't remember the last time I used the human cashier route in a supermarket, scan and go etc is just so much more convenient.

Do Aldi, have scan and go?
Not my local one anyway.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
not entirely sure what this means mr ming.
other than that maybe you've been overthinking things.

It means for each item

Take off shelf and put in trolley
Take out of trolley put on checkout
Take off checkout and put in trolley
Take out trolley and put in bag

Aka four touch. Thought that’d be obvious. Looks like you’ve been under thinking things 😂

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That Aldi cashier could give the operative in my local Spar a few lessons, they are so sloooow. Not helped by a computer system that uses a mouse, probably developed in the Middle Ages, plus they’ve never got any change.:wacko: African world problems.

It means for each item

Take off shelf and put in trolley
Take out of trolley put on checkout
Take off checkout and put in trolley
Take out trolley and put in bag

Aka four touch. Thought that’d be obvious. Looks like you’ve been under thinking things 😂
Or maybe as i often do I pre-filtered out something of so little concern.
I plead guilty to unpacking the stuff once home, putting it in cupboards only to then take it out again sometime later.
Life sure is hell. In the first world.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Or maybe as i often do I pre-filtered out something of so little concern.
I plead guilty to unpacking the stuff once home, putting it in cupboards only to then take it out again sometime later.
Life sure is hell. In the first world.

and others queuing at checkout whilsy you pack your bags there. Should also be of little concern to you or those queuing.

tyred

Legendary Member
People should support their local, friendly independent grocer rather than some faceless big chain.
_40871314_open.jpg

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
People should support their local, friendly independent grocer rather than some faceless big chain.
View attachment 604984

76079C5B-2409-4A07-ADA5-F057BE940F20.png

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Can't remember the last time I used the human cashier route in a supermarket, scan and go etc is just so much more convenient.

Do Aldi, have scan and go?
They're trialling self-scan in some Aldi stores, but not i my area.

anyone tried the self scan in Wilko's? I don't know what's worse... the minging hand held scanner thing, or the angry impatient person they choose to oversee the self scanning tills. I choose to queue.

Cirrus

Veteran
They're trialling self-scan in some Aldi stores, but not i my area.

anyone tried the self scan in Wilko's? I don't know what's worse... the minging hand held scanner thing, or the angry impatient person they choose to oversee the self scanning tills. I choose to queue.
I'm a big fan of the self scan process, the shops I use have a mobile app so I don't need to use their scanner. I''d say that my shopping habits have change quite a bit since the pandemic, probably 80/20 home delivery v going to the supermarket and 95% of the supermarket shopping is self scan.

I have actually only been in an Aldi once, it was like a hybrid of a post apocalyptic dystopian world crossed with a teenagers "floordrobe"....

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My wife does that too.

I disagree though: this is one reason Aldi is cheaper, so I accept it as part of the deal: all my slowness does is put more pressure on an underpaid cashier.

I organise items on the belt so that I can put them in the trolley quickly without risking damage.

So cashiers need to be paid better, right ??

Aldi sucks you (us) in with the cheapness, cheap cos wages of pretty much everyone in food production, and supply is underpaid.

We accept this..

It becomes a race to the bottom.

In Australia, the cashiers work with 2 bags hung on 2 separate rails in front of them. As you load your stuff on the conveyor belt, they not only scan, they selectively pick and place in the bags. The lighter stuff are set aside until all the heavy stuff are placed first. You don't have to worry as they obviously have been trained. So it real pleasure when you reach home to find everything in the right place.

Real boon to parents with kids, those with disability and I guess everyone else as the whole bagging is done by pros. When I came back, I bag like them having learnt from the pros.

Also the queues move a lot faster for obvious reason. On other thing distinct in OZ and NZ, the cashiers light hearted banter with customers while the scanning and bagging is normal, pretty much cultural there. Even when you enter a lift in both these countries with a stranger, greeting plus banter always.

Yes, I lived in Oz and NZ for over 10 yrs in total.

I HATED having my shopping bagged for me whether or not they are 'trained'. Training is irrelevant as everyone's circumstances or abilities are different. I had to either repack it all into my bike's panniers or I had to repack it all into my large backpack and two carry-bags, once I left the checkout area, so everything was NEVER in the right place. I stopped shopping at the supermarkets which insisted they bag for you, because of this.
Mind you even that isn't half as bad as in the US where some kid with no idea piles things into multiple bags willy-nilly and then expects you to give them money in exchange for squashing your tomatoes and breaking your eggs ...

I prefer the Aldi and Lidl models every time, no contest!

Mike_P

Guru
Aldi, and presumably Lidl, according to a former Aldi manager interviewed on 5Live a year or so back achieve low prices by the sheer volume of sales guaranteed through stocking one version of a product whereas the other stores have competing products and in different sizes. As to wages paid to employees judging by comments I have heard from staff who had previously worked for one of the others they are better paid.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Mind you even that isn't half as bad as in the US where some kid with no idea piles things into multiple bags willy-nilly ...

Went to a supermarket in the US and bought about 7 or 8 not very heavy things. Spent most of my time gorping at the odd looking 'candy' by the checkout whilst my shopping was being packed. I paid and took my bag. "Sir!" the assistant hollered as I moseyed away. I turned. "You've forgotten your shopping." she told me. The seven or eight not very heavy items had been packed into no less than six carrier bags! :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom