Life is hell - official

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Possibly and you'll need a mortgage for the cost.
Well if you are foolish enough to have children that need to be fed… (yours should be old enough to pay their own way though now?) :whistle:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My wife does that too.

I disagree though: this is one reason Aldi is cheaper, so I accept it as part of the deal: all my slowness does is put more pressure on an underpaid cashier.

I organise items on the belt so that I can put them in the trolley quickly without risking damage.
Our checkout people have been advised to 'scan to the speed of the shopper' for at least the last five years... don't worry if you pack slowly and methodically, it's the cashier's job to realise this and act accordingly.

I don't personally work the tills (too grumpy)... but i think the scanning speed target went out of the window a while back :smile:

It amuses me to see shoppers frantically bundle their goods into bags in an effort to keep up with the Aldi/Lidl cashier.

Why do they bother?

I let the cashier scan as fast as he likes but my packing is methodical and careful. The goods will stay on the counter until I've packed them the way I want and without damage. He can't process the next customer until I'm done anyway and I won't be pressured into chucking stuff in as if it's a race.
You are supposed to dump it in your trolley and pack away from the till out of consideration for the other Customers.i think it's a good system. I shop by bike. I doubt folks would want to watch me wrangle with my ortliebs.

Mike_P

Guru
Nearest Lidl relocated to a new building with full sized tills and bagging areas on the end like everyone else bar Aldi. Still has the bagging shelf but rare to see anyone using it.

roley poley

Über Member
pack at your own speed ...the conglomocos should be glad of our custom and keep us sweet ....it's not the fault of the cashier who is under pressure from time and motion people to grind an extra buck per hour bless 'em...come down from your ivory towers gaffers and see the shop floor who get repeat customers by having a moment or two interaction with your wage payers...end of rant :hello: :hello:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You are supposed to dump it in your trolley and pack away from the till out of consideration for the other Customers.i think it's a good system. I shop by bike. I doubt folks would want to watch me wrangle with my ortliebs.

What if you don’t use a trolley?

We often use our shopping bags to collect our stuff in and then unload them at the belt. I’m not going to heap the groceries into the bag in a speedy but random fashion just to then take it to the window and rearrange it all when my preferred method works perfectly well.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

The shopping ends up being four touch that way. Not very considerate of their customers

Mike_P

Guru
During lockdown my Aldi was requiring customers using baskets to refill the basket after scanning and pack bags on the shelf. Normally they are happy for a bag or two to be packed at the till, I use a big Sports Direct bag if I have driven there which is easy to quickly put goods in or, if I have walked or ebiked there, a rucksack which can mean use of the shelf to repack it in part, a banana in danger of being quashed being the last rearrangement needed.

DRM

Guru
This is the idea, it‘s the same in Germany, the products are all the same, in the same place, comparing Lidl in Dewsbury, with Lidl in Potsdam, put the items straight back in the trolley, pack it at the window, job done, no stress, the one thing UK stores should do is have the pop bottle recycle machine that pays a small amount back per bottle, prints a ticket out, the amount is discounted from your shopping bill.

I HATED anyone else doing the bagging - unless they were also going to carry the bags to my car AND take them out at the other end and into the kitchen. Which wasn't going to happen ...
In Australia, the cashiers work with 2 bags hung on 2 separate rails in front of them. As you load your stuff on the conveyor belt, they not only scan, they selectively pick and place in the bags. The lighter stuff are set aside until all the heavy stuff are placed first. You don't have to worry as they obviously have been trained. So it real pleasure when you reach home to find everything in the right place.

Real boon to parents with kids, those with disability and I guess everyone else as the whole bagging is done by pros. When I came back, I bag like them having learnt from the pros.

Also the queues move a lot faster for obvious reason. On other thing distinct in OZ and NZ, the cashiers light hearted banter with customers while the scanning and bagging is normal, pretty much cultural there. Even when you enter a lift in both these countries with a stranger, greeting plus banter always.

Top Bottom