Life without a shower...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I'm feeling really sad at the moment because I've just been told from our facilities manager that our shower block is going to be shut down for good from next week (apparently, the lease on that building has expired). It's a real shame cos it's a great shower block...6 cubicles, 2 hair-driers, loads of lockers. It's really nice.

Anyway, now I need to know how to make do without it. What do those of you who never even had the luxury of a shower at work do to make yourself presentable in the office? Towel down and a quick spray of Lynx Java?! And how long is your commute? (mine's 6.5m, enough to make me sweaty).

Not looking forward to it...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
I'm feeling really sad at the moment because I've just been told from our facilities manager that our shower block is going to be shut down for good from next week (apparently, the lease on that building has expired). It's a real shame cos it's a great shower block...6 cubicles, 2 hair-driers, loads of lockers. It's really nice.

Anyway, now I need to know how to make do without it. What do those of you who never even had the luxury of a shower at work do to make yourself presentable in the office? Towel down and a quick spray of Lynx Java?! And how long is your commute? (mine's 6.5m, enough to make me sweaty).

Not looking forward to it...

Give yourself the last mile or so to cool down (so ride a little more gently), and all you'll need is a quick wipe over the sweatest bits with a wet wipe and spritz of whatever deodourant you use.

Brock

Get a job as a glassblower, you'll be sweating in the first 15 minutes anyway, so it won't matter... bah @ office nambies. :blush:

Ahem............I cycle 7 mile into work and we've got no showering facilities. These are somewhat rare in solicitors' offices. In fact, the first firm I worked for did not have an inside lavatory. My trick is very simple - I make sure that I don't sweat while cycling in. This morning I was wearing bib longs with a zip, a thin long sleeved cycling shirt, a zip up jersey and a yellow outer. As I warmed up, I pulled the zips down to give a cooling effect. The result was that I got into the office sweat free.

On the way back, I go a lot quicker and get pretty sweaty. I use this as a warm up and go straight to the gym for a bit of work on the weights as it saves the boredom of the rowing machine.

AtmoLav

my commute's 6 miles each way and we don't have a shower. i take some clothes with me in my bag, and have a wash kit in my drawer - some shower gel and one those spongy thingies. I put some towels on the toilet floor and have a wash in the sink. Tricky, but works fine.

Tynan

Veteran
depends how hard you push on I suppose, the people cruising along at 14mph in full togs with a coat presumably never break sweat, I like to get on with it although this cold weather is reducing the need to sweat a lot, thankfully, we have a barely adequate shower here which is nice

a whole block? wow, you burned too brightly I fear, that is a shame

rjeffroy

Babywipes are your friend.

I have a 12 mile commute which I ride quite hard, so plenty of sweat.
Shower before leaving so I only have fresh sweat from the ride to deal with.
Babywipes + deoderant (both kept at work) deal with it. Had no complaints so far.

Top Bottom