Lifespan of Road Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I wouldn't pay any attention to the puncture theories.
I've had brand new tyres puncture as we all have. Doesn't mean they're worn. If one is getting frequent punctures, ride somewhere else!
I wouldn't worry about a tyre unless it's started developing cracks or the carcass is starting to show through the rubber or it has one or more big tears/cuts in it.

chris-suffolk

My front tyre, Conti GP4000 iiS is just over the 8000 miles, and fully expect it to reach 10,000

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've always worked on 2 punctures in 2 weeks = worn out, or at least deserving of a thorough inspection to verify that there's plenty of rubber left.
It doesn't always work though - the last tyre was a thorn at week -6, another thorn at week -2, and a final puncture at week 0.
However, even the most cursory inspection of the final puncture showed that the tyre should have been replaced at the previous puncture, when all I did was pull out the thorn and put a new tube in.
dead_tyre3.jpg

The slightly blue bit circled is the patch on the inner tube that wore through on the road.

In terms of mileage, the best I'm aware of for bike tyres is 42,000 miles out of the pair, regularly (ish) swapped front & rear. It was the rubber perishing that got them in the end, rather than actual tread wear.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've always worked on 2 punctures in 2 weeks = worn out, or at least deserving of a thorough inspection to verify that there's plenty of rubber left.
It doesn't always work though - the last tyre was a thorn at week -6, another thorn at week -2, and a final puncture at week 0.
However, even the most cursory inspection of the final puncture showed that the tyre should have been replaced at the previous puncture, when all I did was pull out the thorn and put a new tube in.
View attachment 665884
The slightly blue bit circled is the patch on the inner tube that wore through on the road.

In terms of mileage, the best I'm aware of for bike tyres is 42,000 miles out of the pair, regularly (ish) swapped front & rear. It was the rubber perishing that got them in the end, rather than actual tread wear.

Blimey, that's absolutely borked!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I would have thought bike tyres would if anything last longer, because they don't have as much pressure on them when the bike is sitting idle as car tyres do.

But..... they have about 3x the amount of pressure INSIDE them, exerting all those destructive forces on the construction!

PS... Am I the only 60 year old child who occasionally still locks up the rear tyre, deliberately? :laugh:

The one anal thing I do with tires is sometimes swap the front and rear about to try and get them to wear evenly, so that I replace them as a pair at the end of their life.

But..... they have about 3x the amount of pressure INSIDE them, exerting all those destructive forces on the construction!

PS... Am I the only 60 year old child who occasionally still locks up the rear tyre, deliberately? :laugh:

The one anal thing I do with tires is sometimes swap the front and rear about to try and get them to wear evenly, so that I replace them as a pair at the end of their life.

Skids are fun when you're a kid playing out on a bike. Not so much fun if you're on your nice light tyres and you've just used a few quids worth there !

Milzy

Guru
Rubino pro cut very easily I’ve found but the P zero are super hard wearing & the GP 5000 are decent wearing when you consider the soft compound.

mustang1

Guru
But... I have wondered if, like car tyres, there comes a point when they need an age related change.

Is this the case?

I had bike for 15 years with original tyres and tubes. I'm not sure if I don't the right thing by keeping the originals on for that long.

My current bike is 7 years old with original tyres and tubes with 2500 off-road kilometres. I have no plans to change the tyres any time soon.

mustang1

Guru
View attachment 665884

"42,000 miles out of the pair"

Coor that is some long-lasting tyres right there! What tyres are they?

Jameshow

Veteran
View attachment 665884

From deepest Scotland!

Top Bottom