Lifespan of Road Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
But..... they have about 3x the amount of pressure INSIDE them, exerting all those destructive forces on the construction!

Car tyres are at a lower pressure

Yes, they do have more internal pressure, but that helps to maintain the shape, and I believe it is the distortion of shape that causes cracking.

Alex321

Veteran
Glad you’ve changed your mind and now agree that car tyres are at lower pressure.

I haven't changed my mind at all. What on earth makes you think I have. I never at any time suggested car tyres were at as high a pressure.

The internal pressure (the pressure the tyres are at) is a very different thing to the pressure exerted on them by the weight of the vehicle.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the puncture theories.
I've had brand new tyres puncture as we all have. Doesn't mean they're worn. If one is getting frequent punctures, ride somewhere else!
I wouldn't worry about a tyre unless it's started developing cracks or the carcass is starting to show through the rubber or it has one or more big tears/cuts in it.

Several times I have had brand new tyres p'ture on their first ride and never p'ture again until the end of their life. When they start p'turing every ride or two for me it's an indication I want to replace them though.

Glad you’ve changed your mind and now agree that car tyres are at lower pressure.

That's only true for narrower bike tyres, isn't it? For example, I've just checked for my last car - using online thingy - 29psi front, 26 rear. I've just ridden my 33mm CX tyres at a smidge lower than that. Much wider bike tryres exist, I believe sub-20psi is common?

Not sure how this effects the debate, just thrown in for info! :-)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
So that's roughly the same as car tyre pressures?

Top end of car pressures, bottom end of mtn bike tyre pressures, well below road bike tyre pressures.

Fredo76

Über Member
After riding maybe a half-dozen times in about three decades, when I got back into it I put several hundred miles on Specialized Turbo R tires that were that old. This included a dismount and remount after a flat repair of the 30 year old inner tube. They were always on the wheels, and always indoors, and only replaced because I went to 28mm, following the fad. The Turbo Rs had 25mm printed on them, but measured at 21 mm on Mavic MA-40 rims. If skinny tires come back in fashion, I still have them! :rolleyes:

mustang1

Guru
After riding maybe a half-dozen times in about three decades, when I got back into it I put several hundred miles on Specialized Turbo R tires that were that old. This included a dismount and remount after a flat repair of the 30 year old inner tube. They were always on the wheels, and always indoors, and only replaced because I went to 28mm, following the fad. The Turbo Rs had 25mm printed on them, but measured at 21 mm on Mavic MA-40 rims. If skinny tires come back in fashion, I still have them! :rolleyes:

Yeah they will come back in fashion! The YouTube videos will proclaim "Did we have wide tyres wrong all this time?"

Top Bottom