Lifespan of Road Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On my third set of clincher Pireli P Zero's - which I love ....

Had to do a emergency stop on a steep fast descent 30mph+ on Sunday - my rear wheel locked up for a split second - which most probably wasn't tyre related. But it my got me thinking are they due replacement ?
Put then on my best bike in Aug 2021 - mostly used in dry weather - a quick look on strava tells me Ive done on around 2700 miles on them. They look in good nick ...

Any thought on replacement ?

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Any thought on replacement ?

They look in good nick ...

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I've done that. Its a bit scary at speed, but it seems that you released the brake immediately, which is exactly the right reaction.

Not a sign of needing tyre replacement, unless the skid rubbed right thru the rubber.

I don't even remember doing it - survival instinct kicked in - I was totally on auto pilot!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
You haven’t specified, though as you have your speed in mph, that it is 2700 miles you have done on them.

I’ve previously done around 5,000 miles on similar tyres before replacing them. 2,700 doesn’t seem much.

Yeah 2700 miles.

I expect the winter bike to be in service shortly so will probably swap them next spring.

Schneil

Veteran
I guess it depends on how thin the rubber is and how damaged it is. I get 2-3000 miles out of tyres. They start flattening in the centre, where the most wear is. Also they start getting nicks and cuts from all the sharp debris on the road. I use some off road paths, and as they aren't swept regularly, they can be covered in debris - particularly so at this time of year.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
^^^^ This. When punctures come within a day or two of each other, the tyre's sending you a message. I usually get three or four thousand miles or so in London using sub-twenty quid tyres, but I'm usually not legging it. Never, actually.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, car, bus and lorry tyres are apparently good for five to ten years, (if they haven't worn out first) and I can't see an obvious reason why bike tyres would be different. The Marathons on my Brommie were 11 years old when I changed them, and the rubber hadn't cracked or gone hard.

Alex321

Veteran
Well, car, bus and lorry tyres are apparently good for five to ten years, (if they haven't worn out first) and I can't see an obvious reason why bike tyres would be different. The Marathons on my Brommie were 11 years old when I changed them, and the rubber hadn't cracked or gone hard.

I would have thought bike tyres would if anything last longer, because they don't have as much pressure on them when the bike is sitting idle as car tyres do.

Top Bottom