Lifetime Allowance for Pensions what is it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to work for a local authority in quite a senior role - when I left I left my final salary pension there - and this becomes payable soon.

However they are now asking for lifetime allowances of any pensions I receive. I don't receive any other pensions yet - but I am currently in the NHS pension scheme and will probably take this and fully retire in the next couple of years ...... Do I need to declare this ?

Anybody been through this - any advice \ experience

Disclaimer:- Please dont reply saying ask the scheme - or a financial advisor - :smile: - I will be doing this in due course - but the scheme administrators aren't great to be honest

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
The lifetime allowance (LTA) has just been abandoned by the government in the last budget.

https://futurefocus.staff.hsbc.co.u...=From 6 April 2023, the,to the LTA Tax Charge.

Possibly an out of date question?

Slick

Guru
From the provided link.

The Chancellor also announced his intention to completely abolish the LTA framework during the 2024/25 tax year. Please note that it is unclear if the proposed abolition of the LTA from 6 April 2024 will proceed, and if it did, how this would be done. Given this, you might want to pause any plans that relate to this until more is known.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Was this for millionaires ?

Yes - in a way if you total pension over 20 years is over £1m - then you have exceeded the LTA - its doesn't mean you can draw down £1m though !

It seems the change is that the rate of taxation is whats changed - it used to be 55% - but now its 25%.

Im nowhere near the limit - but don't want my pension delayed whilst its being investigated.

MichaelO

Veteran
Yes - in a way if you total pension over 20 years is over £1m - then you have exceeded the LTA - its doesn't mean you can draw down £1m though !

It seems the change is that the rate of taxation is whats changed - it used to be 55% - but now its 25%.

Im nowhere near the limit - but don't want my pension delayed whilst its being investigated.

There's many people who get near/over the limit with final salary pensions. You "only" need to have a final salary pension paying around £45-£50k a year to exceed the lifetime allowance. And the 25% tax is in addition to any income tax due on the pension (and it's still 55% if you take it as a lump sum, I think).

Horribly complex.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There's many people who get near/over the limit with final salary pensions. You "only" need to have a final salary pension paying around £45-£50k a year to exceed the lifetime allowance. And the 25% tax is in addition to any income tax due on the pension (and it's still 55% if you take it as a lump sum, I think).

Horribly complex.

As far as I know the LTA calculation for a DB pension is 20x your pension payout, so you need (at the current LTA level) a pension of £53,650 to hit the LTA. Obviously this depends on personal factors yada yada.

MichaelO

Veteran
As far as I know the LTA calculation for a DB pension is 20x your pension payout, so you need (at the current LTA level) a pension of £53,650 to hit the LTA. Obviously this depends on personal factors yada yada.

£53k assumes no lump sum taken. Any lump sum would need to be added to the 20x value.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru

20x annual pension + lump sum.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I know it’s a first world problem, but a few lucky earners (an increasing few) are paying extra into pensions to avoid the dreaded 60% tax trap at £100k.
But they will get caught either way.
Financial planning is tricky at that point.

Jameshow

Veteran
Wasit not £1.5m and many drs esp with generous pensions where retiring early because the pension taxes were making it not economic to keep working.
However the rules gave been changed I believe. Which is so fortunate for me!!! 😉😉😉

Top Bottom