Light coloured Eyes and the sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Not sure colour of eyes has anything to do with it. Not wearing appropriate sunglasses is the problem.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Not sure colour of eyes has anything to do with it. Not wearing appropriate sunglasses is the problem.

The darker your eyes, the more melanin, a bit like with skin, so lighter eyes do suffer more.

I have blue/grey eyes and I hate bright specular sunshine as I can't see properly without scrunching up my eyes, even with sunglasses and even then, my vision is still compromised at times. Oh and they water like mad too.

I have quite light skin and light (blue) coloured eyes

I find Med/tropical sun dazzling at first but after a while I have to be reminded to use sunglasses as I can cope fine in the bright sun

Dunno why - always been like that

Anyone else suffer really bad eye pain in the sun - usually on holiday, as a Manchester local we don't see much.

In Gran Canaria now, and yesterday I was fine, but today the pain is bad. Forgot the reactive glasses this morn. Speaking to one of the bar staff now and he says he suffers as he has light coloured eyes (Spanish). Mine are a green grey colour. MrsF datk brown.

Had the same issue when we came here about 4 years ago. Too bright, and were just into may.
It is possible to sunburn your corneas. Too much uv. Commonly caused by reflecting light off water or on skiing holidays (snow blindness). Rest and shade are helpful plus good uv protection going forward

I spend quite a lot of time outdoors so I wear my sunglasses a lot of the time. I've never heard any link to the colour of your eyes before though ?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I spend quite a lot of time outdoors so I wear my sunglasses a lot of the time. I've never heard any link to the colour of your eyes before though ?

Pretty sure I've heard it mentioned before - The lighter your eyes, the more you are prone to having problems.

The darker your eyes, the more melanin and so on, a bit like with skin, so lighter eyes do suffer more.

I have blue/grey eyes and I hate bright specular sunshine as I can't see properly without scrunching up my eyes, even with sunglasses and even then, my vision is still compromised at times. Oh and they water like mad too (I don't suffer from hayfever or anything, they just water... In fact, they do most of the time anyway, sunshine or not).

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am fair skinned and have blue eyes. I tend to wear sunglasses lot especially when I'm driving.

Bright sunshine can give me headaches as Well and my eyes can sting at times especially if it is hot as well as sunny so my sunglasses are a must. Even in the winter I wear them.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Oh and why are there two threads with the same title?

Should've gone to Specsavers?

Top Bottom